My Breakout Game, Latest Version

Started by
2 comments, last by speedie 17 years, 5 months ago
So here's the deal with this. I've been pretty busy since I started college, and haven't been able to work on anything for a while. But I've made time the past couple weekends to work on my little breakout game. I think I've gotten it to a reasonable point where I can add it to my portfolio, so unless 1) there's anything seriously wrong with it or 2) I get a lot of great feedback about the game I think I'm just gonna move on to my next project. "Finishing" it at this point would essentially mean adding music and sound, and making more maps in addition to some things like random-block effects, the options menu, the high scores table, etc. Mostly non-gameplay related stuff. I'll probably add these features when I have time or need to focus, or something, but like I said, I'm anxious to move on to something else for my main project. Also, let me know if it crashes. It's crashing on this PC on this account, but it didn't start until I dl'ed some drivers, and I'm unable to reproduce it on another account, so I don't think it's the game. But if it turns out to occur on other PCs let me know and I'll look further into it, as I would fix a major bug like that as a matter of pride. As educational and fun as getting pretty close to done on my first solo project was, I'm pretty anxious to move on to something bigger. After taking my first programming class in college, it's amazing to look back and see how genuinely poorly written some of my stuff is, not to diminish the creativity or ambition, not to mention success, of a self-taught high schooler. But it's amazing what a difference being told what you already know in a formalized manner where you're forced to practice can make. I also learned that presentation makes a world of difference. Same game, added a bitmap background and little particles, and the friends I showed it to thought it was a trillion times better. Even though it's coder art, which is by definition unimpressive :p Of course, gameplay is key. I like to think I have a real natural sense of good design... for action-rpgs. This being an arcade game, I had no clue what I was doing and I wanted to add a whole ton of wanker crap to the maps that sounded really cool on paper. As I said before, however, my code was a bitch to work with, and after all that effort, a lot of it was simply not fun at all. So I minimalized everything to the core concept and I think it's a lot better, if simple. So here it is, my first solo project. Here it is. I would appreciate any comments and constructive criticism, before I start to work on my next idea, which is a quite interesting little crpg, to risk understating just how fucking cool it's gonna be. :)
Advertisement
1. Where are the screenshots in your post?
2. What are the controls???? (no readme?)
3. What's with the drug reference?
4. Don't drop the f-bomb in your game posts...not very professional.

I'm not trying to knock ya man, your enthusiasm sounds genuine. My advice is to finish what you started. You will still learn a heck of a lot more AND you will take pride in having a solid, fully functional game...no matter how small it may seem.

Something else to consider, make the game playable in a window. Small arcade style games like breakout, pong, pac-man, etc, don't need to be fullscreen. Plus it makes it easier for me to play it at work. ;)
I got ta say, you've come really far in this game, since last I played it, And I would highly suggest you finish it.

It didn't crash on my PC but I keep things rather up-to-date, the animations were rather jittery, the balls that switch who controls the game balls was horrible. The computers paddle, shakes alot while following the ball.

Sound I don't care if it's there or not, but it should to consider it complete, with small arcade games like this I rather listen to my itunes while I play instead.

I would also suggest that the pace of the game be a bit faster, with a slightly wider paddle. maybe throw in some special bonuses that drop from the broken tiles aswell.
-----------------------------------------------The ZoloProject
I got ta say, you've come really far in this game, since last I played it, And I would highly suggest you finish it.

It didn't crash on my PC but I keep things rather up-to-date, the animations were rather jittery, the balls that switch who controls the game balls was horrible. The computers paddle, shakes alot while following the ball.

Sound I don't care if it's there or not, but it should to consider it complete, with small arcade games like this I rather listen to my itunes while I play instead.

I would also suggest that the pace of the game be a bit faster, with a slightly wider paddle. maybe throw in some special bonuses that drop from the broken tiles aswell.
-----------------------------------------------The ZoloProject

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement