• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Grdman

nvidia NVPerfSDK gpu_idle question

This topic is 4415 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem with nvidias NVPerfSDK I hope someone can help me with, this was the best forum I found. The problem is about the gpu_idle counter and it sums up to this: I have a very simple app that runs with 6ms/frame, in this situation the gpu_idle counter shows o% and that must be correct because I Im most sertenly gpu bound. If I then increase the cpu workload (by adding a Sleep() coimmand or just som non gpu related work) so that the frame time goes up to 60ms/frame I expect the gpu_idle counter to be on 90% since 10% of 60 is 6. But I get a gpu_idle reading that is something like 50%. Conclution is that In the first case the gpu took 6ms/frame and in the second (with only cpu workload added) it took 30ms/frame. My question is whats wrong with the gpu_idle counter? If there is nothing wrong what extra work is the gpu doing when it just happens to get some extra time? Im using a ge-force 6800 card and directX. I hope I made my question as clear as possible. Bye the way the same phenomenon occur if I use NVPerfHud and read the gpu_idle from the graph. thanx

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!