questions for lefties

Started by
17 comments, last by algumacoisaqualquer 17 years, 5 months ago
About one in every ten people are left-handed. I'm right-handed so I want to know some things about you lefties when it comes to video games... Is WASD in left hand and mouse in right hand awkward? Or have you just gotten used to it? How many of you position the mouse on the left side just when playing a game or even just using the computer in general? If so then I'd like to hear your key setup. Does it feel awkward to play a first-person-shooter where the gun is strictly on the right side? How about a third person game, particulary a character using the right hand to swing a huge object while doing a flip (e.g. Rune)? Sometimes I think classic first-person-shooters featured a gun in the middle so it appealed to both parties without needing to write additional work.. little work, but still. I tend not to notice left handed characters in side-view fighting games.
Advertisement
I think the actual number is closer to 13% 8-)

As a 100% leftie (I could not write or play a guitar or whatever with the right hand to save my life), I actually find using WASD with my left hand and the mouse with my right hand easier. I can and do use the mouse with the left hand occasionally also, but then I could not reach all those keys around WASD :D And it's more annoying when they map WASD to the arrow keys instead. WASD usually encompasses a lot of other keys around it, for cycling through weapons and jumping, crouching, etc, and needs precise control, which I can only achieve with my left hand. Positioning the mouse is less stressful.

On-screen position of the weapon does not bother me whatsoever, it's purely aesthetic and visual and has no impact on my perception of gameplay quality.
Also 100% leftie.

WSAD is fine. I've always moused with my right hand.

I only really get a minor disconnect or find it odd that my weapon is wielded in my characters right hand. It was mostly only wierd with FPS melee weapon games (like DDO).

As far as camera: I find any over the shoulder camera crippled if i can't dynamically switch sides of the body while i play. When on the right of a doorway i want the camera over the left shoulder and vice versa. That's got zero to do with leftie or rigtie and everything to do about gameplay.

-me
I don't know their opinions on games but

My dad is left handed and uses the mouse on the left side of the keyboard with his left hand but keeps the mouse buttons in a right handed configuration (mouse buttons are normal). Near as I can tell he's comfortable with this setup and it makes it easy for me to move the mouse to the other side when I need to use it.

My gf is left handed and uses the mouse on the right side of the keyboard with her right hand in a right handed configuration. She says she's comfortable using it and likes being able to write and use the mouse at the same time.

I'm right handed but FWIW I've tried using a mouse with my left hand and I find I need it in left hand configuration (l&r buttons swapped). When it comes to games I've only noticed any kind of awkwardness while playing tournament fighter games. Usually this was due to starting on the same side for a length of time or my opponent being physicly on the right of me while to the left of me on the game screen. (This feeling of disorientation fades after either a couple of rounds or a couple of beers which ever comes first)
Quote:Original post by dx elliot
Is WASD in left hand and mouse in right hand awkward? Or have you just gotten used to it? How many of you position the mouse on the left side just when playing a game or even just using the computer in general? If so then I'd like to hear your key setup.

I've never used WASD except in the rare cases where it's been hard-coded. I always use the mouse in my left hand for fine control (such as in FPS games) and use the numeric keypad for movement. Usually I use 8456 instead of WASD, binding the remaining keys on the keypad to various other functions and using the arrow keys for modifiers such as "run".

I used to use my right hand for mousing in general applications, leaving my left hand free to type short commands, but I've since switched to exclusively mousing with my left hand.

Quote:Does it feel awkward to play a first-person-shooter where the gun is strictly on the right side? How about a third person game, particulary a character using the right hand to swing a huge object while doing a flip (e.g. Rune)?

Nope. It doesn't really bother me at all, as there's a big enough disconnect between the keyboard/mouse interface and the actions of the character on the screen for it not to bother me. However I am a bit worried that the Wii controller might not be leftie friendly, and not sure if it will feel comfortable swinging it around in my right hand.

I do prefer the option to play as a left-handed game character though, just because I like the option.

Quote:Sometimes I think classic first-person-shooters featured a gun in the middle so it appealed to both parties without needing to write additional work.. little work, but still. I tend not to notice left handed characters in side-view fighting games.

From memory, didn't most FPS character back in the days of old feature a left hook? I'm not entirely sure if that meant they were all left handed.

Of course, there was always "Marshall" James Anderson from Outlaws, who was definitely a left handed gunslinger.
Is WASD in left hand and mouse in right hand awkward? Or have you just gotten used to it? How many of you position the mouse on the left side just when playing a game or even just using the computer in general? If so then I'd like to hear your key setup.

I'm 100% lefthanded as well, but I use the same controls as everyone else. Mouse to the right of the keyboard, WASD and everything, and it feels as natural as anything. Don't ask me why. [wink]

I don't really feel as comfortable with the mouse in my left hand. I can use it (and sometimes do if I'm resting my legs on a chair beside me so only my left hand is near the computer, but for games or anything that require good control, I'll stick with the normal layout)

Quote:
Does it feel awkward to play a first-person-shooter where the gun is strictly on the right side?

You mean the visual model of the gun? Never thought about that. Doesn't make a difference to me (although guns that are rendered "to the side" always look really weird in general, like something really bad happened to perspective, but doesn't bother me with regards to control or gameplay)

Quote:
How about a third person game, particulary a character using the right hand to swing a huge object while doing a flip (e.g. Rune)?

Again, never really thought about it. Do you mean bother in the sense of "this is awkward, I can't control the character like this", or "Damn, uh, rightist games! I refuse to play games that don't let me choose to be lefthanded"?

If the former, it really doesn't matter. If the latter, well, I'd say that's political correctness taken to a new extreme.... [lol]
People can use their right hands as much as they like. As long as I don't have to use their scissors more than neccesary...
I'm a leftie. I always use a mouse with my right hand and have no trouble with WSAD configuration. I guess I've just gotten used to it.
I am also a lefty and use the mouse right handed (although I might be conssiddered slightly ambidextrous as for the last 6 years I have had to use my right hand more due to an accident with my left shoulder).

I remember reading something (years ago) that the way we use a mouse and keyboard is more suited to a left hander than a right hander.

The reason for this was that we write (that is us lefties) left handed so typing on a keyboard is better with the left hand. This allows us to use the mouse at the same time with the right. Whereas a right handed person would have to let go of the mouse to begin typing with their right hand, and as their left hand is not dominant they can't easily just type with only their left hand.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Sometimes I think classic first-person-shooters featured a gun in the middle so it appealed to both parties without needing to write additional work.. little work, but still. I tend not to notice left handed characters in side-view fighting games.

From memory, didn't most FPS character back in the days of old feature a left hook? I'm not entirely sure if that meant they were all left handed.

Of course, there was always "Marshall" James Anderson from Outlaws, who was definitely a left handed gunslinger.

I was thinking classic Doom and Quake where the guns are positioned dead center on the screen (except for animations such as when cocking the shotgun).

Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
However I am a bit worried that the Wii controller might not be leftie friendly, and not sure if it will feel comfortable swinging it around in my right hand.

All for I know the Wii controller (the remote control one) can be used in either hand because the buttons and analog stick are positioned in the center. Maybe this is Nintendo's strategy for designing a controller that is super intuitive, even for non gamers.

No comment about the "Classic Wii Controller".

Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Again, never really thought about it. Do you mean bother in the sense of "this is awkward, I can't control the character like this", or "Damn, uh, rightist games! I refuse to play games that don't let me choose to be lefthanded"?

lol, not really. I was just thinking back to that game and remembering how fun it was to leap into the air, do a side flip, and bring a huge mace or axe on someone's head in multiplier mode. But, I'm sure after ten minutes it's easy to get used to, if say, the character flips in an orientation opposite of what is expected.
Since im always taught by right handed people, I can do a lot of things both ways, a lot of things only left handed, and a lot of things only right handed. Like I used to only beable to open doors with my right hand when I was young...I can only use my mouse with my left hand...I can only throw a ball with my left...but I can write in both hands. I can also strike and kick with both sides.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement