• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
slymr

Simple Array Error

This topic is 4330 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I know that this is a simple error. I can't figure out why it does not work. Code that works:
map[x][y] = BMPmap[((x*mapX) + y))];
Code that does not work:
map[x][y] = BMPmap[(((x*mapX) + y)*4)];
I know it is that one line. x,mapX, and y are all integers. map is a 2d array of of floats. BMPmap is an array of chars. I have no idea why that would not work. I know that it is not over the array limit. It crashes with a windows crash window. Whats wrong!?!

Advertisement
What is mapX?
What is the array size of BMPmap?
What is the range of x and y?

I would suspect that you are over the array limit seeing as you got a crash with that second line of code.

Maybe you could post the code if that's ok.

k then.

void SetUp ( void ) {

BMPImg pic;
pic.Load("test.bmp");

unsigned char* BMPmap = pic.GetImg();

int mapX = pic.GetWidth(), mapY = pic.GetHeight();

for ( int x = 0; x < mapX; ++x )
for ( int y = 0; y < mapY; ++y )
map[x][y] = map[x][y] = BMPmap[(((x*mapX) + y)*4)];
}

and then the BMPmap is an array with the exact amount of slots to hold one color. (XSIZE and YSIZE are macros that are the size of the BMP).
float map[XSIZE][YSIZE];

The BMPImg code is copied and pasted from here.

I believe thats all you would need and thanks for fast response.

What I do notice looking on it a second time is the curious way of indexing into the BMPmap array. I do not know how the image is layed out in memory but this line looks like it's the wrong way to index:
(x*mapX) + y

In fact, I have just done some calculations and noticed that if your width is greater than your height, you will no doubt overflow the array.

The way I would normally index into an array is something like
(y*mapX) + x

Do I assume correctly that you are multiplying by 4 because your image is 32 bits per pixel?

Also, if your image is 32bpp, your method won't work to get all the color information into your float map. You would only get either the red or blue channel depending on if the bmp encodes as BGRA or RGBA

Quote:
Original post by Adam Hamilton
What I do notice looking on it a second time is the curious way of indexing into the BMPmap array. I do not know how the image is layed out in memory but this line looks like it's the wrong way to index:
(x*mapX) + y

In fact, I have just done some calculations and noticed that if your width is greater than your height, you will no doubt overflow the array.

The way I would normally index into an array is something like
(y*mapX) + x

about the indexing yes that was messed up. I believe it should be BMPmap[(((x*mapY) + y)*4)]. But that does not work either. I still get MS error/crash message.

Quote:

Do I assume correctly that you are multiplying by 4 because your image is 32 bits per pixel?

Also, if your image is 32bpp, your method won't work to get all the color information into your float map. You would only get either the red or blue channel depending on if the bmp encodes as BGRA or RGBA

Exactly what I want. ;)

EDIT: never mind, I found a workaround on Google. I will post the code for someone else that may have the problem.

for ( int x = 0, place = 0; x < mapX; ++x ) 
for ( int y = 0; y < mapY; ++y, ++place )
map[x][y] = BMPmap[ place * 4 ];

[Edited by - slymr on November 14, 2006 10:55:52 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!