• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Andy-7m

Need advice on a will-be-project

This topic is 4410 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there, I'm kinda new here but hope to get familiar with the environment soon. I'm studying a Computer Science at university, master degree studies. And I need to decide on the project I'm gonna graduate with. The only field, where I can adjust my likings and requirements is game programming. I am being confused with it for a couple of months now... While reading all kinds of gamedev, AI, directx stuff to help me to settle my mind. The wish is to choose to develop a demo project with directx graphics engine along with implementation of AI. I understand the fact, I gotta be more serious on one of the mentioned fields above. While my bachelor degree project was based on the analysis of quake3 arena artificial intelligence of bots, I'm more of AI-programming guy. But not sure if I can offer a reasonable issue (to make it enjoyable create and present in the beginning) while creating. I'm keen in all kinds of pc gaming, specially FPS. Programming language should be c++ (ms visual studio). I understand one thing -- I won't be capable to make a complicated 3D engine along with fantastic AI and marvelous gameplay/sounds by myself. Those days are gone. The primal thoughts are to use directx to demonstrate AI in 3D environment with some template model. Or even compare several different AI algorithms... Not sure though... Would some of you guys with more experience help me to figure out the way I should go or destiny I should choose? I got whole 2 years to spend on the project. I also hope the project could be an advantage while entering game bussiness in the future. Any reasonable comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I've divided my platform game into multiple modules, one being the renderer module and another the game logic module. I've set up the renderer so, that it loads and manages textures and keeps track of all sprite objects, where each texture can have animation data associated to it, and each sprite object has a position, current animation frame, etc, and refers to one of the images. My game logic can then register a sprite object in the renderer, and update it's position and animation. That's about all communication there's going on between the two. Of course, the game logic first asks the collision module if it's movement is valid... :)

Maybe this gives you an idea of how to set it up. I think it's best to build a basic version of each module first, and expand them when necessary. For example, you don't need models to showcase your AI doing pathfinding when ugly green boxes suffice - you can add the model support once you made sure the modules interact correctly.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!