Creating an RTS game

Started by
9 comments, last by avp216 17 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone!! This is my first time here(as you may notice) I want to try and make my own RTS game(like generals but less graphic quality) IS there any programs that can create RTS games for you(like FPS creator can create First Person Shooters) If there arent any programs what can i do to create an RTS? THANKX
Advertisement
Learn to code - check out the beginner's section of resources in the menu for some starters although I'm guessing there is probably a more basic start point that someone will recommend. If you aren't especially concerned about learning the basic tools of programming then I would recommend looking into GameMaker but if you want to gain skills for further game development look into starting a more manageable project such as a Tetris clone or something first using Java or C++.
Programming is a big one to learn if you don't know much about it already. Game design is also a must for at least an understanding on the general architecture of games. Reading articles located here and other game development sites will help you immensely in your journeys, as will many books that are out there.

The Torque engine contains an RTS starter kit, which might be able to help you along your way a bit. I've never used it, so I don't know much about it.
Hope that helps.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
huh?

HOw to code? but where do i put the code? LIke in JAVA?

BUt isnt there any software like a RTS creator out there? there must be!

lol

thnx
Hello,

I really hope you got programming experience!

GDNet featured a new book "Programming an RTS Game with Direct3D" iirc.
Just search for this title at amazon.

This should help you getting started. I havent read it though.

good luck,
- christoph -
ill see it but what i realy want is a software that creates RTS.. Isnt there any?

thanks for all the help so far.
Quote:Original post by avp216
...what i realy want is a software that creates RTS.. Isnt there any?
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. RTS isn't really the type of genre you can easily make a 'cookie cutter' game-making app for.
Go out an buy any EA RTS game (C&C: Generals, Battle for Middle Earth 1&2). The games ship with Worldbuilder which is the content creation tool they use to make the game internally. Easily 50% of the games are content/data driven. You can construct any number of unique effects/rules/units just with data. In fact most of the differences between generals and the battle for middle earth games is just data. When working on new games they use the same tool internally to prototype the new game: later moving some of the data stuff over to code for performance.

There are a huge number of modders out there. Basically with worldbuilder and mucking about in their INI system you can create new game modes, new balance rules, insert your own content, etc.

I'll post some modding community sites in a sec. gotta find a list...

-me
Programming an RTS with Direct3D is for intermediate C++ / DirectX programmers, so probably not for you. I doubt there is any software for easy creation of an RTS, and if there is it would probably only be very basic and quite difficult to use.
If you're not interested in programming or graphics you could try using Generals map editor? =)
Check this out:
http://forums.gamemaker.nl/index.php?showtopic=241319

Its an RTS written in game maker as you can see by the screenshot its pretty proffesional, graphics are better than aoe2.

Game maker is the way to go considering your lack of programming experiance, if your a decent artist i recon you could make a proffesional looking game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement