Using DirectX 10 with Visual C++ 6

Started by
6 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 17 years, 5 months ago
Hi. can i use directx 10 in vc++6? EDIT: Please use a more appropriate subject line. See the forum guidelines. [Edited by - jollyjeffers on November 15, 2006 10:43:53 AM]
Advertisement
No, SDK support for VC6 went out the door a while ago, iirc. You should abandon VC6 for a real C++ development environment. There's no excuse. Visual C++ Express is free.
I concur with jpetrie - do yourself a favour and use a compiler from this millenium/century/decade [lol]

As an added point, Direct3D 10 is only available on Windows Vista and I'm pretty sure I read a few comments suggesting that older versions of VStudio weren't compatable - to the degree that they wouldn't even install anymore! If I'm remembering correctly and it applies to VS6 then you're screwed on all counts.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

While you might get VS6 to install on Vista, you'd be stuck using an older platform SDK and libraries, as I'm 99.44% sure that they're not going to make the Vista platform SDK VS6 compatible. D3D10 definately not.

As people have said, these express compilers are free, as is XNA Game Studio. When using the express compilers, you'll need to grab the platform SDK, which they mention, and link to, on the express site.
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
and I'm pretty sure I read a few comments suggesting that older versions of VStudio weren't compatable - to the degree that they wouldn't even install anymore!

You should be able to develop for Vista with older versions of VS running on XP, but if you want to develop in Vista you'll need to use 2005. S. Soma Somasegar had this to say on his blog.

Quote:However, we will not support Visual Studio .NET 2002 or Visual Studio .NET 2003 as development environments on Windows Vista. You can continue to use Visual Studio .NET 2002 or 2003 on Windows XP to develop applications that can run on Windows Vista. Given the customer feedback that we've received since the launch of Visual Studio 2005 indicating the manageability of upgrading from Visual Studio .NET 2003 to Visual Studio 2005, we are focusing our efforts on ensuring VS 2005 is a great development platform for Vista.
can i use dx10 for vista but i use unmanaged with vc++.net?
Yep, you can write unmanaged code with Visual Studio.Net (man, that name seems to cause a lot of confusion)

In this case, the .Net part just means "it also supports .net stuff, and we really really would like you to start using it". Still has full support for native/unmanaged stuff though.
I installed VStudio 2005 recently and noticed that they'd actually dropped the ".NET" from the name, which is probably a good thing. But yes, the .NET compilers can produce native unmanaged code... or most of them can. I expect the C# and J# compilers only produce managed code. C++ can be unmanaged.

If you use XNA you're forced to use managed.

Also, be aware that nVidia only just released a D3D10 card last week, and it doesn't yet have D3D10 drivers. If you're aiming for D3D10 you'll be using the REF rasterizer, where you can expect seconds (or minutes) per frame, not frames per second.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement