Desktop ONLY application dev going dead?

Started by
6 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 5 months ago
Do you believe that desktop only applications are dead? Is everything internet oriented?
Advertisement
Nope. What makes you think they are? Being internet-enabled benefits a lot of applications, but not all.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
90% of my currently installed apps have nothing to do with the interdoom: MS Office, cygwin, various mp3 compressors, DVD player, compiler, debugger, disassembler, basically anything to do with productivity or non-web entertainment.

Now if you mean, "is it harder to get venture funding if you don't have 'ZOMG teh INTERNETS' attached to your product", then perhaps yes. =)

There's certainly a mini-boom going on in the online media space; more or less retarded easy to get funding with anything having to do with online video-content.

-me
Absolutely not. There are many pieces of software (word processors, image manipulation packages, development software, sound and video editing suites, …) which need have no interaction with the internet. I'd guess there are more apps that don't need or would not be well-suited to being internet-enabled than there are apps that work well on the internet.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I am looking for work and in many jobs they are asking SQL and ASP which I am not a professional in fact my background is more desktop apps oriented. I have a good knowledge of Winforms, C# etc. and I just dont understand why is every one hyped about internet enabled. Anyway thanks for the replies.
Quote:Original post by Antony52
I just dont understand why is every one hyped about internet enabled.

b/c, like i said above, we're supposedly at the beginning of a new internet boom. everyone is once again getting all hot and bothered about the internet. the naive marketing perception is that internet == $$$$$. The logic is something like: "zomg youtube just sold for $1.65 billion, if we add teh internets to our product, we'll sell for $1.65 billion".

With any boom you get instanity.

The reality is that pure desktop stuff is still necessary. However, many apps can benefit from a little bit of internet connectivity: many apps will now auto-update over the net to get patches, it's useful to have media apps able to easily push/pull content from the web, etc.

If the job market wants you to have ASP/SQL knowledge, then you should just learn it. It doesn't take more than about 2-3 weeks to get a basic grasp if you already know a programming language.

In general, you should be picking up new languages and math and algorithms all the time anyway. If you stop learning you'll soon be out of a job.

-me
Quote:Original post by Antony52
I am looking for work and in many jobs they are asking SQL and ASP which I am not a professional in fact my background is more desktop apps oriented. I have a good knowledge of Winforms, C# etc. and I just dont understand why is every one hyped about internet enabled. Anyway thanks for the replies.

I'm currently looking for a job too and I can tell that you're right! It seems that everyone working in software developing today requires SQL+ASP (not even PHP:-( and while I have nothing against learning new languages (in fact, developing sites would be a first choice for me, even if I never did that seriously), I would like to have more options.
The reason many jobs are internet oriented is because 1 office suite/browser/spreadsheet can serve millions of different companies, but all those companies need their own individual websites. That's an oversimplification, but for the most part you'll find that bespoke software is where the majority of the work lies, even though those applications are each used by relatively few people.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement