• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
furiousuk

MSVC++ Express

This topic is 4415 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm currently using MSVC++ Visual Studio 6 along the newest version of the DirectX 9 SDK that'll run with it and I'm starting to realise that VS6 is a little old. I've been checking out MSVC++ 2005 Express as this free, budget is a massive issue. Is the development studio in Express similar to VS6? How does it differ or is it cosmetically the same? While I'm nowhere near even harnessing the power of VS6 I want to at least try and keep up with DirectX updates and I know the October 2006 SDK won't work with my setup. It works with 2005 Express tho doesn't it? I only program simple games in C++ (I rarely even touch visual C++) and realise this setup might be overkill for my requirements but I always feel like improving myself and want to remain flexible so thought that DirectX and 2005 Express would probably be the best setup to adopt. Anyone have any other important thoughts on a compiler setup that will work with DirectX? I'm very familiar with Visual Studio 6 and don't really want to spend time learning a new developer suite if I don't have to. I really assume Express is fine for me but just want to check and learn a little more. Thanks for your help

Advertisement
MSVC++ 2005 Express works fine with the latest SDK's. More than likely, the only thing you might marginally miss from version 6 is the Win32 resource editor. But there are other free gui based tools that will let you edit resource files if you can't stand to do it by editing the resource source directly. I'd say, overall, MSVC++ 2005 Express is a big step up from VS6.

MSVC2005 Express will be considerably better for game development than VC6. As Mastaba said, you might miss the resource editor, but you can leave VC6 installed to use that to edit resources, or hand edit them.

Sweet, thanks muchly guys. All I've got to do now is plug my main computer into the internet and spend a small lifetime downloading!!!

Thanks for your help

Quote:
Original post by furiousuk
Sweet, thanks muchly guys. All I've got to do now is plug my main computer into the internet and spend a small lifetime downloading!!!

Thanks for your help
Yeah, you'll need the Platform SDK too (Linked to from the MSVC download site) for doing C++ development. And you'll need to change the project settings from Unicode to Multi-Byte Character Set, or use the wide char version of a lot of functions. And you'll probably want _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE defined in your project's preprocessor settings.

There's a fair step up from VC6 to VC2005, but you should be at home with it after a week or so.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!