• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

ActiveX, DirectX, and PNG images...

This topic is 4330 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm developing an ActiveX control that will be used on a large Intranet. I cannot gaurentte that DirectX 9 will be installed on the PC accessing the website hosting the ActiveX control. For this reason, I decided to use GDI+; however, I'm find that it is not fast enough for what we need. In an effort to centralize all of the files the ATL ActiveX control needs, I stored all of the images as resources in the module. The application uses PNGs for the transparency they offer and I've written code to load the PNG files from the resource into a GDI+ bitmap object. If I'm going to switch over to DirectX, I need to know if it is still possible to load the PNG images with the alpha channel onto a surface from a resource. My current thinking is to get the resource into an IStream and then use D3DXCreateTextureFromFileInMemory. Would that work? Is there a better way? Also, any good tutorial on 2D in DirectGraphics (or whatever it's called now) would be nice. Thanks.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!