• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
btownsen4

Help 2 Chose Language, API, and DXM or DX

This topic is 4328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I Need some help here. Ive been working with C++ for 3 years now, and Directx (Unmanaged) with the win32 API for about 1 year. Ive come across a few things Ive checkd out but still dont know wherer the future lies. I want to work with the standards, not the easy path (Well if the standard is the easy path then im ok). Ive herd of the .net architecture, and first want to think about that. Can I use Unmanaged Directx with .net with C++? Another course I was thinking about was the C#.net and the newer XNA framework. But C# isnt a real standard, and XNA seems to be for the "hobby" game desingner, without much true 3d gameplay, and seems to be missing alot of features although it is beta. So my real question is Stick with win32 + Directx + C++, Go to .net with Directx and C++, or skip of to C# and XNA. What are the pro's using right now, and which will not limit my future development. Thanks

Advertisement
I'd stick with C++ and unmanaged DirectX for now. C++ will be around for a while yet.

Apparently going from C++ to C# isn't that huge a leap (and from what I've seen it isn't - I've yet to learn it though), and likewise for unmanaged to managed DX. As with most thing computer related, if you learn one version of C or DirectX, it should be pretty straightforwards to lean another.

If you want to get into game development, I'd learn C++ well, and learn C# and/or at least one other language for the experience, and just stick with unmanaged DirectX and Win32. If you want to get into non-game development, then C# is definitely worth learning well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!