Studying two languages at the same time... Good or bad idea?

Started by
9 comments, last by Julian90 17 years, 5 months ago
I'm a senior in High School taking AP Computer Science, which covers Java. I've already read the whole school text book, skimmed over some others, and I plan to keep learning Java throughout the school year. However, I'm also interested in other languages, specifically C++/C#. They seem to be more game oriented than Java, and I'd really like to know multiple programming languages. Now, is it a good idea to study both Java and C++/C# at the same time? I'm not sure if that would be too hard or confusing or what. Any opinions on that? Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Well. First of all don't group C#/C++ like you would C/C++. It's not the same at all. Secondly, for the interest of being marketable study both C# and Java. Their both similar if you know both there's a good chance (try 98% chance) you'll get a job doing one or the other. Flexibility and talent are key in the programming world. Remember that!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This is pretty much up to your abilities to keep them straight. C#, C++, and Java share many similarities and will probably not be too difficult to learn simultaneously, unlike some other languages which require entirely different organization and syntax. An upside to learning multiple languages at a time may even broaden your language exposure and understanding of advantages each language for particular purposes.

So, if you think you can handle it, go for it.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
I didn't know C++ and C# were so different. Odd.
I'll have to research more as to which I want to study right now.

I'm pretty confident I could handle learning multiple languages, especially if they are relatively similar. I'll give it a shot.

But yeah, knowing multiple languages really would help anyone become more marketable.
I'll probably find some books on C++ or C#, whichever it is I'm gunna study now.

Can anyone help me out on whether I should look at C++ or C#? I guess I'm not too sure of how C# is different.
I would recommend doing a little research on C# and C++ and perhaps doing a little programming in them as well. Then decide on which language you would like to pursue, based upon your interest, the most.

C# runs on the .NET platform, which is similar in ways to how Java works with a JVM.

Is there any popular opinion on which language is stronger for game development?
Or is that a very debateable issue?
That is a pretty heated topic here. You can pretty much search "lang A vs. lang B" and come up with many a threads if you're interested in reading them. Most professional large scale games are written in C/C++.

I didn't really find any good online material comparing C++ and C#, but I did manage to contact my friend's dad who has a good position at Microsoft. And he gave me some information on it.
If anyone else wants to help a little and give their insight on the difference between C++ and C#, it's be appreciated. =)
Ok ill try to keep this short and stay well away from the topics that cause wars.

The major difference between the two IMHO is that C++ is simply put a "lower level language" then C#, what this means is that C++ is allot closer to the machine level then C# relatively speaking forcing you to deal with things such as memory management (although there are tools to help with this) whereas C# will take care of the majority of memory management (and other things) for you while still allowing you to go "low level" when you want.

To summarise C# lets you focus on what your trying to do and get it done while C++ gives you more control over how things work.

A few things to note:

If you choose C# your allot more likely to complete projects (although there are exceptions as with everything)

If you choose C++ you should make sure that the book/other resources that you use to learn cover the SC++L (Standard C++ Library) often called the STL (Standard Template Library) in older books.

One final thing to consider is that C# is allot more similar to Java then C++ is.

Just so you know there is allot that I've left out but those things tend to start arguments and probably wont make much of a difference to your decission
If u r currently learning java, go with C# or just stick with java. Defining classes, methods, and interfaces are very similar, boxing/unboxing, GC, they have lots in common. If you know one, you can learn the other one pretty quickly. Biggest difference between them is learning their libraries (FCL vs. packages). In fact, if i may be as so bold to say... without java we wouldn't even have C#.

Also, when you get to college, java usually is the primary language, with C and C++ set as electives. It does depend on where you go though... Plan ahead cause if your college uses C++, that CS 120 Introduction to Programming class can be a killer as that's where most CS majors decide to drop and switch majors. There will be lots of students with prior experience and they will get the A's while you lag behind.

C++ is different, most people who start it after learning java or C# say "WTF?" The reverse also holds true for C++ programmers like myself who learned java and C# much later. For example like when I saw Java's generics... WTF? Wildcards and wildcard capture? super? extends? I never had to worry about that in C++.

But eventually as you go on with your education, i think C++ should be your primary language (depending on what you want to program... programming a UNIX-based ab initio program you ain't gonna be using java or C#, or even C++ for that matter ha ha ha).

[Edited by - yadango on November 16, 2006 2:29:51 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement