• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thekiwiguy

What to use? What to use? What to use?

This topic is 4324 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, new to this forum and game development. Basically I am looking to develop a game and want some recommendation on suitable packages to use in the development of it. Mainly interested in what are the best tools to use to handle the graphical aspects of this project. The game I am looking to create will essentially be a horse racing game. Now I can do this in two dimensions using sprites and the like but I don’t really want to go down this path. I want to try designing this in a 3d environment to add a bit of realism to it. Essentially what I am after is recommendation on packages to use for the following: The Race Course creation. Looking for a program where I can essentially design a race course to certain specifications and populate the terrain in and around it with trees, fences, grass etc. The Horse Animations Essentially I plan to create a number of animations reflecting different riding styles and wish to race them into the race course(s) I have created. What program would best suit my needs here. Would love program recommendations here and being as it is a hobby, not really interest in spending thousands on software so something reasonably priced would be ideal. Lastly, although I haven’t ventured into the gaming aspect of programming, I have strong programming knowledge in a business environment for business applications so the programming aspect of it should not prove to hard to come to grips with. Last time I did make a game was almost two decades ago for the commodore amiga if some of you old timers out there remember that machine. Cheers Dave

Advertisement
Hi Dave,

Instead of finding software packages to use (you won't find anything specific that won't take a lot of work to use anyways), why don't you try a programmatic \ Photoshop based approach?

Have a couple textures\images where 1 of them is essentially a grayscale heightmap that describes the height of the terrain y coordinates (you can find a whole slew of these tutorials online. They're very easy to use). Another of the images (using a similar grayscale approach) can be used to identify where the race track is (this information could drop down\paint geometry for the track on top of the terrain, and also offer a region to calculate collision detection\AI in). Lastly, same approach, have an image to identify regions to place down foliage and other placeables.

I mention this approach not because it would ever be used in a large scale game, but because you will gain a lot of knowledge (being new to the field) in building everything from scratch and you will focus more on the concepts\techniques instead of a software package.

Hope that helps, cheers!

~Graham

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!