Medieval Map Help and My RTS Game

Started by
10 comments, last by Stani R 17 years, 5 months ago
I am looking for a medieval map from 1000-1420A.D. with cities and rivers for an RTS I am making. please post a link to one if you have one. For the map I need the capital locations of London, Paris, Cairo, Toledo, Jerusalem, Rome, Athens,and Tokyo as well as the capitals of medieval China, Germany, Scandinavia, Western Africa, Mongolia, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, My RTS is a huge game. Picture a Total War game but always on the battle map with RTS elements. You have one territory: the capital city of that faction. Example: French start with a small village named Paris English start with a snall village named London Spanish start with a small village named Toledo With an army and settlers you make claim to lands by conquering the native peoples of it in their cities. Your land claims are made by having settlers put up a new village and the soldiers enforce the claim. Once a settlement is up wandering travellers will come to your settlement if you have food, protection, and good tax rates. The map is shaded out unless a battalion of soldiers is in the area, fortification settlements (watchtowers, forts, large forts, guard posts, fortresses, and large fortresses) enhance the range of sight. Scout units have poor combat but can see and move much faster. Gameplay Element List -13 Factions so far -Fight in Europe, Africa, and Asia -Build and name your own settlements besides your capital -Choose how many soldiers are in each unit -Citizens pay taxes, work on farms, plant farms, and become soldiers -Workers collect resources, gather food, build, or repair -Settlers can become scouts and set up settlements -Soldiers can fight or become part of a city's guards to enforce law -Merchants can be sent out to set up trade routes and trade agreements -Spies can find out more about an enemy settlement -Assassins can kill enemy officials and sabotage settlements -Sergeants, lieutenants, captains, and generals can be trained to manage an army -Settlements can resupply armies with food and water -Diplomats set up alliances and negotiate other treaties -Bishops makes sure religion is spread -Put taxes on imports or goods spread around in each settlement -Capture enemies who rout and enslave them or ransom them -Siege enemy settlements and fortifications by killing anything that tries to exit and keeping caravans of food and other supplies out -Set up buildings to reduce squalor, public disrest, criminal activity, and public waste -Customize the look of your buildings from different archtitectural designs based on your faction More to come! All feedback welcome except the flaming of RTS or medieval games, that is pointless flaming just telling the guy you don't like the type of game.
Advertisement
Factions
English-London
French-Paris
Spanish-Toledo
Germans-
Italians-Venice
Mongols-
Egyptians-Alexandria
Chinese-
Japanese-Tokyo
Israelites-Jerusalem
Koreans-
Vikings-Denmark
Celts-
Roman Pope-Rome
Byzantines-Constantinople
Almoravids-Marrakesh

I still need more factions and their capital cities.
Is your game in such a state that it's actually playable? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about creating lists of playable factions just yet. You can add them later on anyway, provided you created your game so that it's not too hard to add factions. :)

And personally, I don't like an overload of factions to choose from. Of course, I'm biased towards storytelling games so I like a few factions that are worked out deeper, that's personal taste. Nevertheless, since there are so much factions, they probably don't differ by much, at which point it may well be a waste of resources to create that much factions. Just some food for thought.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

Even at the time of Columbus, the Europeans didnt have a good idea of where
Cipango (Japan) was. Tokyo wasnt a capital (city?) at that time either (Kyoto or Nara???).

Israelites-Jerusalem ??? That area was controlled by Moslems (and crusaders for a bit) Kingdom of Jerusalem.....

Poles
Turks
India Moslems and Hindus
Russians/Rus
Italians numerous city states Venetians etc...
Swedes
Vietnamese/Cambodians
Incas/Aztecs/Maya (in their own minigame?)
Ethiopians
Berbers/North Africans
East Indies (all them spices...)

Yeah man, Adriac, do some research of the time period. I have almost no doubt Tokyo didn't exist. Jerusalem wasn't owned by Jews until after the period you're stating (they still don't entirely own it with the Palestinians blowing the shit out of them).

Get out some history books. That would probably help you more than we could.
"You are a God amongst insects. Never let anyone tell you any different..."
wait, so you are going to have a zoomed in map, at ALL times, and it will cover the whole of europe AND asia AND parts of africa?

Just how many HOURS do you expcet it to take to scroll to the far side of the map?

There is a very good reason why Rome:Total War uses a two map system. Also, why are you spanning such a large area? Do you know how many cultures there are? Sure there are the big ones, but I can take just an area from the east german boarder today, to the UK, and everything north of the southern french coast, and pick out ten times the number of cultural varaiations you have listed so far.

Rethink stuff.

Also are you looking for us to make you a gamemap? Or are you looking for a map that was drawn in that period? I'm sorry to say that from that era maps are really rather crappy, many look nothing at all like we use today. Some are even simply sort of graph style webs, not showing lands, but just a discripition of which cities have roads connected to what cities. A south bound road may have been drawn going any direction to the next city on the map.
You might find a fair bit from the later end of that period, but I forget when 'good' maps started. And don't forget that time period (which I first read as 1000-1120, which was a much more reasonable chunk to work with) is HUGE as far as a timeline goes. Do you know how many kingdoms rose and fell in that time? How much boarders shifted? How much art, building and clothing style, and warfare changed in that period?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Ok I'm gonna handle all these one at a time

RandyJohn and Anonymous Poster: I completely cut out Asia
Talroth: You can click on a minimap to instantly get around and you have many ways to speed up scrolling through.

New Stuff
-Asian factions and land are gone.
-New Faction List: English, Germans, French, Italians, Roman Pope, Russians, Celts, Western Muslims, Eastern Muslims, Spanish, Polish, Hungarians, Mongols, Byzantines, and Danes
-I don't need a map anymore
-You start in the Dark Age with one village named after your faction's capital.
Example: English start with London
Then your citizens become settlers to make new villages wherever you want them and you name them.
-Citizens can become workers, spies, assassins, diplomats, merchants, priests, soldiers, craftsmen, settlers, scouts, and farmers

Citizens
As I just said a citizen can become many things, here is an indepth look at each

Workers: Workers are sent out to build, chop wood, mine, hunt, and repair. They can barely fight and require buildings for each action
Example: Lumber Mill required to chop wood
Spies: Spies can give you information about enemy settlements and armies
Assassins: Assassins kill of agents, military leaders, and governors as well as arson, poison food, poison water, and sabotage siege equipment
Diplomats: Diplomats make treaties such as alliances or ceasefires
Merchants: Merchants set up trade agreements and trade routes between settlements
Priests: Priests spread religion and add more to your settlements
Soldiers: Soldiers fight your battles and protect your cities
Craftsmen: Craftsmen turn wood planks into bows, iron into swords, stone into stone blocks, etc.
Settlers: Build villages and inhabit them
Scouts: Fast moving hard to detect soldiers who can give you information about an area
Farmers: Plant farms and gather food, bring in most of your food supply

Capitals (Still some needed)
English: London
French: Paris
Germans:
Polish:
Spanish: Toledo
Italians: Venice
Roman Pope: Rome (if you didn't know this already you shouldn't be reading this)
Western Muslims: Marrakesh
Eastern Muslims: Jerusalem or Alexandria (Need some opinions on which one)
Byzantines: Constantinople
Danes: Denmark
Celts:
Russians: (not sure of their medieval capital)
Hungarians:
Mongols: (where did they take as their center of conquest in Europe?)
Ok I'm gonna handle all these one at a time

RandyJohn and Anonymous Poster: I completely cut out Asia
Talroth: You can click on a minimap to instantly get around and you have many ways to speed up scrolling through.

New Stuff
-Asian factions and land are gone.
-New Faction List: English, Germans, French, Italians, Roman Pope, Russians, Celts, Western Muslims, Eastern Muslims, Spanish, Polish, Hungarians, Mongols, Byzantines, and Danes
-I don't need a map anymore
-You start in the Dark Age with one village named after your faction's capital.
Example: English start with London
Then your citizens become settlers to make new villages wherever you want them and you name them.
-Citizens can become workers, spies, assassins, diplomats, merchants, priests, soldiers, craftsmen, settlers, scouts, and farmers

Citizens
As I just said a citizen can become many things, here is an indepth look at each

Workers: Workers are sent out to build, chop wood, mine, hunt, and repair. They can barely fight and require buildings for each action
Example: Lumber Mill required to chop wood
Spies: Spies can give you information about enemy settlements and armies
Assassins: Assassins kill of agents, military leaders, and governors as well as arson, poison food, poison water, and sabotage siege equipment
Diplomats: Diplomats make treaties such as alliances or ceasefires
Merchants: Merchants set up trade agreements and trade routes between settlements
Priests: Priests spread religion and add more to your settlements
Soldiers: Soldiers fight your battles and protect your cities
Craftsmen: Craftsmen turn wood planks into bows, iron into swords, stone into stone blocks, etc.
Settlers: Build villages and inhabit them
Scouts: Fast moving hard to detect soldiers who can give you information about an area
Farmers: Plant farms and gather food, bring in most of your food supply

Capitals (Still some needed)
English: London
French: Paris
Germans:
Polish:
Spanish: Toledo
Italians: Venice
Roman Pope: Rome (if you didn't know this already you shouldn't be reading this)
Western Muslims: Marrakesh
Eastern Muslims: Jerusalem or Alexandria (Need some opinions on which one)
Byzantines: Constantinople
Danes: Denmark
Celts:
Russians: (not sure of their medieval capital)
Hungarians:
Mongols: (where did they take as their center of conquest in Europe?)
As a starting point...

And for a RTS of this scale you should really think of abstraction, for example ordering workers around in every settlement in your kingdom might be a little too much micromanagment even for me :)
Denmark isn't a city. The capital of Denmark is Copenhagen, but that city was only a fishing village by the name of "Havn" (harbour) until the middle of the 12th century, when it was fortified.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement