• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
amokz0r

Need some begineers help please?

This topic is 4237 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey All, I am sort of just starting out in game development, have wanted to do it my entire life and i strongly believe im at the stage now where i can make a decent attempt. I just finished my bachelor degree in computer science i made a 2D game using DirectX in C++ for my major (well directdraw mainly) and i feel pretty confident with C++ in general. The 2D game i created was a basic RPG game and I learnt quite a bit in terms of sprites, blitting to screen, maps, ortho algorithms, A* collision detection etc and used a lot of this in the game. I now want to make a second game, however naturally i would like to create a 3D game, my questions are: 1. Should i attempt creating my own 3D engine? or should i use an open source one such as Ogre3D? (in other words am i way over my head if i never programmed 3d games before to make my own engine?) 2. I know how to model very basically as i did a course, however it was in lightwave, if i can learn how to model in 3dsmax low polygon characters, are there any tutorials that show how to import models into a game engine, and on top of that how does animation work? Am i meant to animate it in 3dsmax and then use that in the game engine? and if so how? This is my most confusing thought of 3D game development, i just dont understand how the animation should work 3. Maps, im at a loss when it comes to maps in 3D, ive looked at BSP maps but im not sure thats what im after, im thinking of a 3rd person rpg sort of game any help or insight at all would be greatly appreciated thank you everyone in advanced

Advertisement
Let me get this straight:

1) You want to make an RPG
2) You want to make it in 3D
3) You specifically need something that will cover level creation/implementation

My friend, God saw this day coming, and here is what he prepared for you.
Programming RPGs with DirectX in C++

There is also a 2nd edition here, but if I recall correctly, the first edition got better reviews.

As far as making your own engine, I think the normal practice is to make use an already-created, well-documented engine. If need be, however, I'm sure you could handle your own engine if you've got the drive.

P.s. I wouldn't classify you as a beginner in any sense of the word anymore, lol. With a BS in computer science and an entire 2D game under your belt as a final project, you're intermediate at minimum ;)

[Edited by - BTownTKD on November 15, 2006 9:36:05 PM]

Does the book have more than a paragraph (and a half) on animation ???

Most of those books are only cursory in their covereage of all the MANY topics/aspects making up game programming.

I wonder when animation sets will start to be sold (en masse) the same way that they are starting (and they are JUST starting) to sell 3D models. Getting models into a common format is bad enuf, and for animantions its far worse.

I am coding a simulation project and hope by the time I get the monster working they will have much more animation assets available (I dont feel like creating the 500 odd biped animations sequences myself)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!