new and in need of help

Started by
3 comments, last by Recluse 17 years, 5 months ago
I am new at programming, actually, I have never done it before. I have been wanting to make games for quite a while now and was wandering if anyone could tell me all the stuff I will need for making games, and a code I can learn without buying a book. Basicly, I am asking for some one, or people , to point me in the direction towards all the stuff I will need, and good tuts. or unless you would be willing to train me yourself.
Advertisement
Firstly if you want to see quick results and make games straight away try a program such as Game Maker. It has an in built scripting language which can help you learn the very basics about what you will be doing in programming.

If you want to learn proper code though there are plenty or articles and tutorials on the net that can help you out without having to buy a book.
Read about different programming languages and see which one sounds good to you.
Then try a few out see which ones you like better. I learn C++ which is capable of doing some pretty neat things when you know how. Also there are an abundant amount of free tutorials about it which is very handy.
I was thinking of learning C++ becouse I heard it is a great language and I was looking to make 3d games. I have tried the game maker, but wasnt to interestd in it. I hope that isnt realy asking much.

but if possible, do you know anything about 3d programming with C++ and all the stuff I will or may need.
People usually have a lot of misconceptions about what "game programming" really is... a "game maker" program is really a VERY toned down version of the kinds of things you would need to do, since half the work is already done for you.

I always recommend a class on programming over tutorials online. If theres a community college close to you, I would recommend a night course in C++. It's good stuff... if tutorials are your only option, then fiddle around with some game-makers, even if its not your thing. You'll be required to create your own game maker at some point and use it, anyway, lol.
Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.
lol, I am onlty 14, so I will follow what you think I should do. I mean, I know what game programming is, I have 3 books on game programming, 2 on C++ and one on Visual basic. the problemis the CDs were not compatable with my pc, thats the only reason I say with now book purchas. Iwould actually perfer abook that would work on my pc and that would help me.

So if you still think I shoud just mess around with gamemakers just say so. But if you have any "Good" 3D programming books in mind, please feel free to voice your opinion.

The thing is, I sort of want to skip the 2d game programming, but I dont know if its advised. If there is any way I can possibly skip it without doing any 2D.

I dont know if thats just me being stubborn but I already followed the game storry stuff and have about 30-50 different games ideas total and I am anxiouse to start on them. I heard Dark Basic and Tourque were great ones to start with, also someone suggestd Unity. I have no clue as to of what I am doing as I told you but I am anxiouse and once I start learning about the stuff I need, I wont stop.

The reason I want to start actually "Making and Programming" my own games is becouse I am going to go to collage for it and own my own companny once I am capable and I know I need a Demo Reel to apply for a job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement