Experimental Track

Started by
7 comments, last by Rain 7 17 years, 5 months ago
Don't be frightened
________________________Quote:OluseyiI knew of a "Christian" couple in Nigeria who named their child "God's End-time Battle Axe." I kid you not.
Advertisement
cool!! I like the harmony very much.
Antisheep~

First off, thanks for sharing this piece!! I'll tell you what I liked and what I thought could be improved upon.

Pros:

I really, really liked the "breathing" effect you achieved in the string pads. I don't know if this was intentional, but judging by the title "Don't be frightened"--- this gave a great impression of some kind of evil force lurking nearby. I also liked how it was understated, not completely in your face.

Cons:

When listening to this track I either felt like it was a fragment of a larger piece- or the pacing was off. This could be due to several things:

1) Not knowing what this piece was written for. I don't know if you wrote this a visual sequence (aka cut scene or movie) or for mood setting like in a video game. If I knew the intention- I might understand better why you've composed the piece this way.

2) Too much repetition. The breathing effect, as cool as it is, begins to leave the listener wondering what's next. You did add some light variations and new ideas- but I think the porportions were off. Pacing and porportions are extremely important.

Advice: If this is a work in progress- I think you have a great start! I'd begin to build on the ideas and make an arc happen in your "story". I say story because one of my best comp teachers kept referring to pieces as stories. You have to go somewhere, make it a journey. He would also say that you can return home (i.e. back to the intial idea) but you return different.

Does that make sense?

Let me try saying it a different way: Right now you have a great idea for the "A" section. At the end of this segment it starts to morph. If you're wanting to make a longer piece out of this- my suggestion would be development a melody and then after a good portion of time, begin to move into a contrasting "B" section. If you choose to use the breathing effect throughout the A section, then do not use it at all during the "B" section. You want your B section to be different...the journey. From this point you can choose to put in more sections or conclude with section B and make your way back "home". The great part about composition is that you can choose to return to the A theme or end up in a totally different landscape.

Man....this is so much easier to discuss in person, with a blackboard and chalk. :)

I think my main point is I love your idea: but it needs some expanding on.

I hope that helps and made some kind of sense! :)

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Mr. Madsen: It totally makes sense. =) This was actually a completely unrefined w.i.p. In my Music in America class, we're studying experimental music, and I was inspired. It's not finished, by far.

Thanks for the replies! =)
~Paul
________________________Quote:OluseyiI knew of a "Christian" couple in Nigeria who named their child "God's End-time Battle Axe." I kid you not.
Very cool then!!! And no need for "Mr. Madsen". :) Just call me Nathan.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Cool track Paul. Incidentally, have you listened to Rite of Spring, recently?

I largely agree with Nathan's points about how you might change things up a bit to encompass more variation throughout the piece. I would love to hear some peaks and valleys not just with the sound, but with specific melodic sections. Still, this is a great blue print to make something exciting happen. :) It will be interesting to watch how this piece grows!
No, I have no clue what Rite of Spring is. Time for some googling. =)

Correction, time for some Igor Stravinsky. ;)

Rite of Spring wiki

If that doesn't light your ass on fire, nothing will.
I hope its alright to post this...if not someone feel free to remove it. :)

This is merely to whet the lips; the introduction of the second half of the Rite. One of the most amazing pieces of music I've ever heard.

Introduction

Hope this is appreciated!

-Ryan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement