• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aardvajk

Learning ASP with XP Home

This topic is 4325 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Struggled to decide which forum for this but GP does say programming issues not related to games, so I hope this is okay. I want to learn ASP but I'm running XP Home and IIS is apparently not supported. I've seen some dodgy looking workarounds and I tried downloading a couple of other personal web servers but I just wanted to ask if there is any method anyone here can recommend for being able to tinker around with ASP on a XP home machine. I know nothing about all this so may have just been using the Abyss web server wrong but when I put index.asp in the ntdocs directory and went to http://localhost/, the html content of the file appeared but the ASP: <% response.write("hello") %> didn't appear. I appreciate this probably isn't the best site to be asking this question but I trust the responses I get round here. If anyone can offer advice or links on the subject, it would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
Download Visual Web Developer 2005, it features a virtual server which fires up automatically from within the IDE whenever you preview your website. No need for IIS.

EDIT: I noticed you said ASP, I'm sorry web developer would be asp.net so that might not suit your needs. On second thought it probably works with asp pages aswell =) Just give it a try :)

Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express

Hope this helps

Do not learn ASP! It is deprecated and shouldn't be used for anything, ever again.

If you're really keen to do web development on Windows platform stuff (for some reason), use ASP.NET instead.

Omid: I think you'll find that "Visual Web developer 2005", whatever that is*, doesn't support ASP, only ASPNET. But that's ok.

So just use ASP.NET

Mark

* All of my experience using ASPNET has been with the proper tools, not the freebie lame ones, so I don't know how well they work.

Quote:
Original post by markr
Do not learn ASP! It is deprecated and shouldn't be used for anything, ever again.

You're totally right.

To the OP:
If you want to go free, get apache and look at the Mono project. There's a usable ASP.NET implementation there, and it's totally free. In fact, I think it's up to a grade where it's usable in a production environment now.

Thanks for all that. Very helpful responses.

Only reason for wanting to learn ASP is that it seems to be quite a popular requiste skill in programming jobs round my way.

Do you reckon that these are just job descriptions written by non-technicals that don't understand the difference between ASP and ASP.NET or is there a lot of legacy ASP stuff that still requires developers?

I mean, if you advertised for an ASP programmer and I turned up saying I only know ASP.NET, would that be a disadvantage in many situations?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I know next to nothing about web development.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!