• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cignox1

c++ book opinions

This topic is 4329 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, there is the chance for me to begin a job as c++ programmer and my c++ books are not very good. For this reason I would like to buy a very good reference book wich covers (possibly) both the advanced topics of the language and it's good use. I thought about "The C++ Programming Language" but I've read that it is only a reference book, so you will need to already know how to use advanced features of the language. I've also seen "c++ primer" and "C++: The Complete Reference, Fourth Edition", while I already own a couple of books by Schildt and I've read bad words about his books. What is your suggestion?

Advertisement
There is nothing, NOTHING, better than Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language for use as a reference and a tutorial and guide book on every aspect of the language.

This book should be the first choice in any library.

Following that, stock up on all the Meyers Effective books, the Sutter Exceptional books, the Josuttis book on the standard library, and if necessary, Langer & Kreft for advanced IOStreams and Locales.

Those books are the backbone of my collection (judging from the wear on their spines and the fact that I know where they all are). I have a number of secondary books that I frequently go back to, but those are the basics.

I can't speak for their C++ book, but I orignially learnt C from Deitel & Deitel's C - How to Program. I found it complete. Fell to bits in the end with overuse, which is the ultimate sign of quality in a programming text.

I know they do a C++ How to Program as well. Anyone else read it?

I read a (slightly older) version of C++ How To Program, and it was a very complete book. I would really reccommend it for beginners, but not so much for more experienced people. I only picked up a handful of tidbits from it.

I second the suggestion of The C++ Programming Language. It is not just a reference, it contains great explanations as well.

Quote:
Original post by _V_
You might want to have a look at Bruce Eckel's books here:

Thinking in C++

Thank you, I already know both Thinking in c++ and thinking in java and while I think that TIC++ is a great book, I cannot afford to buy 2 (3?) books, because I want it on paper. Of course, I already have the html version onmy HD ;-)

Ok, thank you all, then it seems that The c++ programming language would be my best bet. I'm opened to more opinions, of course...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!