• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
phb5000

FPS / VSync Issue

This topic is 4411 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using the FrameworkTimer supplied by the DirectX SDK samples to get the elapsed time between my frames. I have VSync turned on which should give me around 60 fps, however, I'm only able to achieve around 30 - 40 fps. What could be causing this? My render loop is as follows: 1) A framework update call 2) Updates FPS value 3) Updates my application 4) A framework render call 5) Prepares device 6) Renders my application 7) Finishes device 8) Loop

Advertisement
Is your PresentationInterval set to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE?

If you've left it at D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT then it is worth noting that it is only nearly equivalent to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE.

MSDN Entry on D3DPRESENT
Quote:
D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_DEFAULT uses the default system timer resolution whereas the D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE calls timeBeginPeriod to enhance system timer resolution. This improves the quality of vertical sync, but consumes slightly more processing time. Both parameters attempt to synchronize vertically.

Regards,
ViLiO

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!