• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ferr

C++ Covariance function

This topic is 4327 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm translating some code to C++ from another language that has a built-in Cov function, but after looking into CMath and googling for a bit, I can't seem to find a C/C++ Covariant function that doesn't require a purchase. Can I get some help? Is there a free lib out there or a site that hosts a function? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisement
It shouldn't be that hard to implement on your own...

You want to compute the covariance between what and what? In other words, what does your data look like?

Well, here's the line of code using covariance in the language I'm translating from:

Rcov = cov(Noise(p-mem:p,2:4));

Some obvious things that should be noted:

1) Rcov is a 3x3 matrix (and this is a typeless language.)
2) cov is obviously the covariance function
3) Noise is a 2D array that, I believe, stores floating point numbers
4) p stands for point and stores the loop count
5) mem is equal to 12
5a) this line is called if p > 12, thus it will be using p-mem or 13-12 through p or 13. So.. it will be using elements 1-13 of Noise's first dimension once it hits loop 13.
6) the 2:4 indicates that it wants to only use elements of index 2-4 of the second dimension per element of the first dimension.

Now this is actually the confusing part to me.. I'd hoped to get the cov function first and then start experimenting with the solution to my confusion, but what's a little strange to me is that it seems to want to take the covariance of 39 items (13 from dimension one * 3 from dimension two) and fill them up in the 9 positions of the 3x3 array. I'm pretty sure, from the purchasable functions I've seen, that the cov will just return a single floating point number.. That to me means I should only have 3 numbers returned to Rcov (i.e. I will have Rcov[0][0]=cov(Noise[1-13][2]) then Rcov[0][1]=cov(Noise[1-13][3]) and finally Rcov[0][2]=cov(Noise[1-13][4]).) But I'm pretty sure the 3x3 matrix is supposed to be full.

Hopefully this is more helpful than it is confusing.

Edit: One of the purchasable functions I've spoken of is here. Seems the way they're using theirs is taking two arrays and calculating them against each other to produce a floating point number.. which is a bit different than how I imagined it was supposed to be done.

Yes, knowing that it was instead a covariance matrix proved very helpful. Google produced this link with that new information. The code there should work fine, I think.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!