• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Flawe

2d game gui

This topic is 4232 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, i have a nice little engine in opengl which draws some nifty multi-layered maps and a character with collision detection and so on. when I start my game now, it starts rendering the game world on an entire glut window. what i'd like now is to render the world in only the upper-left 3/4 of the window, a little chat/console thing on the lower end of the window and a character/inventory gui on the right where you can see the equipped items on the character and his backpack and whatever. I have never done any GUI related programming before. I've read a little about it but I still have no clue how to continue. What do you more experienced fellows suggest I should do? Use a GUI library and get the job done well and fast? are there any libraries that will do what I need? or do I have to take the long, rigtheous way of learning everything and doing it myself? I kinda want to focus on the game and not get stuck in these side-things, because that's what will happen. Thanx for any replies

Advertisement
here's a GPwiki thread on it. Don't know how much it will help but it will give you the basic structure of a GUI.

http://gpwiki.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5119

I'd say make it yourself. Only because game specific stuff isn't normally in most GUI's. I mean some can be hacked together to make an inventory, but it might not be how you want it or something. Also GUI programming is a lot of good programming experience.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!