• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SenorSnor

OpenGL glRotate doesn't work for me

This topic is 4324 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm new to OpenGL and have a problem with rotating, hope someone can help .. I want to draw four cylinders in a circle in a plane perpendicular to a fifth. Each of the four cylinders is under a 90 degree angle with its neighbours, and should be under a 45 degree angle with the floor. I can draw them in the circle, but two won't go in the 45 degree angle with the floor. It ends up like this: So the right and left cylinder should be under a 45 degree angle with the floor just like the front and the back cylinder. I have this code to draw the cylinder: void SceneDrawer::drawBranch(double startX, double startY, double startZ, double angleX, double angleY, double angleZ) { GLUquadricObj *branch; branch = gluNewQuadric(); gluQuadricDrawstyle(branch, GLU_FILL); glTranslatef(startX, startY, startZ); glRotatef(angleX, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0); glRotatef(angleY, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0); glRotatef(angleZ, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0); gluCylinder(branch, 0.6, 0.4, 3, 26, 14); glRotatef(-angleZ, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0); glRotatef(-angleY, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0); glRotatef(-angleX, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0); glTranslatef(-startX, -startY, -startZ); } that is called with this code: drawBranch(0.6, 5.0, 0.0, -45.0, 90.0, 0.0); // right cylinder drawBranch(0.0, 5.0, -0.6, 45.0, 180.0, 0.0); // back cylinder drawBranch(-0.6, 5.0, 0.0, 45.0, 270.0, 0.0); // left cylinder drawBranch(0.0, 5.0, 0.6, -45.0, 0.0, 0.0); // front cylinder Positive z-direction is facing you, positive x is to the right, and positive y is directed upwards. So the ones that are going wrong are the right and left cylinder. The way I see it, the cylinder gets turned 90 degrees around the y-axis; that happens. It also needs to rotate 45 degrees around the x-axis to get an angle with the ground, but that doesn't happen. What am I doing wrong?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
PROtip:
glPush() and glPop() are your friends

You mean instead of rotating and translating back at the end of drawBranch(..)? Yes, you're right, I use that now :) But it doesn't solve my problem, unfortunately ..

Try pushing the model view matrix and loading an identity matrix at the beginning of each call, and end each call with popping the matrix. If there's still visual problems after that, the problem must be with your calculations or order of operations.

glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
//...

//in your draw call:
glPushMatrix();
glLoadIdentity();
// ... draw a cylinder
glPopMatrix();

Guest Anonymous Poster
uhh,
try messing with the order those rotations are applied

translate
zrotation -controls what compass direction it faces
xrotation -always +-45
yrotation - shoudl be blank anyways

that assumes that z is up for your world
and that the cylinders are aligned with z upon creation

Well, I can't say I fully understand .. but doing rotation around Z-axis first, then Y, then Z (instead of X, Y, Z) fixes my problem! Tnx! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!