I feel like ripping my eyes out (A rant: I'm a computer science major)

Started by
14 comments, last by DevLiquidKnight 17 years, 4 months ago
Moved to the Lounge, where you can drown your sorrows in silly pictures of kittens.
Advertisement
Meh, it sucks, but lots of people have to re-take classes. I had to re-take calc I, barely passed calc II, and never took calc III. I still managed to go on and get my math minor. Clearly in breadth, not depth :).

So yeah, do what you can, next semester will be better.

edit: sorry I don't have any silly pictures of kittens at the moment.
I will probably get a b or c in college trigonometry. I am pretty sure I failed the recent test. I turns out after 2.5 years with no math my algebra is rusty and unconfident.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
OP, I am in the same boat, only with calc II and theoretical computer science. My advice... stay in the class, screw the tests if you know you are failing. Focus on taking notes for the next time around.

I'm going to have to retake 2 of my classes from this semester, but I can put them off since they aren't prerequisites to other classes. Rewrite your notes, study them, and when the class comes around again, get an A, and then your bad grade gets overwritten.
During the 5 years it took me to get through Mechanical Engineering I learned to fail with style (well get Ds anyway). What you want to focus on is learning the subject, no matter how many tries it takes. Once I resigned myself to this I actually did better. It may kick your but this time and you might cruise through it next time.

When it came to senior year I was in the same group I had struggled through with the whole time for our final project. At the end of a long semester of work we recieved the highest grade in the class. We recieved many compliments on our attention to detail and adherance to good practices. We had the lowest GPA of any group. I strongly believe that because we had to repeat classes and struggle we were more cautious and remembered early course work better. So stick in there, it just means you will have seen that information twice where others have only seen it once. Plus these classes are the very foundation off which you can build a strong understanding of your later coursework.

Muse, I had the same thing happen to me in General Relativity I. I had very little problem in Special Relativity. However the math in Gen Rev kicked my ass and I was given a C- when I deserved a D I am sure. It still bugs me and I have kept at it hoping to go back some day and redeem myself (to myself).
By curiosity did you have a difficult time in Calculus 2? I've heard from many people that once you understand Calculus 2, Calculus 3 is quite easy. This may be something to consider. Or at least consider some extra studying time in Calculus 2 concepts and then look at the Calculus 3 concepts your having a hard time with.

Luckily your GPA in college doesn't matter unless you’re on a scholarship (or some other form of aid that requires your GPA to be high). Chances are the places you go to for a job will not be asking you "Did you get a 4.0 GPA!?" All that matters are that you get your degree the rest is pretty much void.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement