• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
robilant

glReadPixels + GL_LUMINANCE ?

This topic is 4330 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I found this funny behaviour of glReadPixels: if I use GL_LUMINANCE as format, in SOME cards (for example GF6600GT, GF6800) and not it other cards (GF7800 or ATI x700-x600) the most right quarter of the screen is not read back from the buffer. If I use, for example, GL_RED than everything is ok on every card I tried. The code below is a small application that shows this thing (use 'm' to shift from GL_LUMINANCE to GL_RED). It render a half screen triangle, then read back the buffer and makes a texture, then for all subsequent frames shows the texture. note: the problem is not in the making of the texture (already tried). #define APP_NAME "glReadPixels(..) bug?" #define _SIZE_ 512 #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> #include <GL/glut.h> int winW = _SIZE_; /* window width */ int winH = _SIZE_; /* window height */ bool modeRL = false; bool load=true; float * buf; void glutDisplay (void) { if (!winH) return; glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glViewport(0,0,winW,winH); glMatrixMode(GL_TEXTURE); glLoadIdentity(); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); glOrtho(0.0,1.0,0.0,1.0,0.0,2.0); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glLoadIdentity(); gluLookAt(0.0,0.0,1.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0,0.0); glPolygonMode(GL_FRONT,GL_FILL); if(load){// first time draw a a triangle covering the upper left part of the screen,then read back the buffer and // load it as texture if(modeRL) printf("GL_RED\n"); else printf("GL_LUMINANCE\n"); glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES); glTexCoord2d(1.0,1.0); glVertex3f (1.0,1.0,0.0); glTexCoord2d(0.0,1.0); glVertex3f (0.0,1.0,0.0); glTexCoord2d(0.0,0.0); glVertex3f (0.0,0.0,0.0); glEnd(); glFinish(); glReadPixels(0,0,_SIZE_,_SIZE_,(modeRL)?GL_RED:GL_LUMINANCE,GL_FLOAT,buf); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,1); glPixelStorei (GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1); glPixelStorei (GL_PACK_ROW_LENGTH , _SIZE_); glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT); glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT); glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexParameteri (GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST); glTexEnvf (GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE); glTexImage2D( GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 1, _SIZE_, _SIZE_, 0, GL_LUMINANCE, GL_FLOAT, (GLvoid*)buf); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); load = false; } else {// render the texture created the first time assert(glIsEnabled(GL_TEXTURE_2D)); glBegin(GL_QUADS); glTexCoord2d(0.0,0.0); glVertex3f (0.0,0.0,0.0); glTexCoord2d(1.0,0.0); glVertex3f (1.0,0.0,0.0); glTexCoord2d(1.0,1.0); glVertex3f (1.0,1.0,0.0); glTexCoord2d(0.0,1.0); glVertex3f (0.0,1.0,0.0); glEnd(); } glutSwapBuffers(); glutPostRedisplay (); } void glutKeyboard (unsigned char key, int x, int y) { switch (key) { /* exit the program */ case 27: case 'q': case 'Q': free(buf); exit (1); break; case 'm': modeRL= !modeRL; load=true; break; } } void glInit (void) { buf = (float*) malloc(_SIZE_*_SIZE_*sizeof(float*)); glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); } void main (void) { glutInitDisplayMode (GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_DEPTH); glutInitWindowSize (winW,winH); glutCreateWindow (APP_NAME); glutKeyboardFunc (glutKeyboard); glutDisplayFunc (glutDisplay); glInit (); glutMainLoop(); } [Edited by - robilant on November 17, 2006 10:01:51 AM]

Advertisement
I've had no trouble reading back GL_LUMINANCE on my 6600GT card. I didn't read all of your code dump but I did notice you allocating the memory for buf incorrectly.

Guest Anonymous Poster
oup thanks! unfortunatly it doesn't change a thing since I'm using win32 app and 4 bytes float, but at least I know it's not hardware related.

oup thanks! unfortunatly it doesn't change a thing since I'm using win32 app and 4 bytes float, but at least I know it's not hardware related.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!