• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deltit

matrices and their values

This topic is 4409 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know a description of commonly used matrices such as WORLD_MATRIX(inverse, transpose), VIEW_MATRIX, PROJECTION_MATRIX, VIEWPROJ_MATRIX, WOLRDVIEWPROJ_MATRIX and so on? i couldnt find any documantation about them. Id like to start programming gpu shaders but its hard witout knowing what values those matrices contain. :x

Advertisement
I'd suggest you pick up a good book on computer graphics and start reading if you're serious. Things will start to mean slowly as you move forward. You won't be able to do much with shaders with a lousy background on CG and math anyway.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Odd question. There's no documentation on them because you might as well be asking for documentation on how to multiply two values.

Once you are advanced enough to write shaders, matrix math should be inherent knowledge.

Here some matrix math
matrix math

here a very goog link providing nearly all information about general matrix math
matrix introduction

Now once you got the hang of the stuff provided in a last link you should look at google for (rotation,translation, scaling) matrizes and once you understood them have a look at projective matrizes.

Projective matrices can be used to do projective texturing, e.g.: transform the world coordinates into texture coordinates by projecting them onto a plane( there is more about it, but its no magic)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!