• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
celu

playing avi using directx?

This topic is 4236 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

is it possible to read an avi video into my directx application? i want to apply the video as a background texture inside my game... is there any functionality in directx 9 that supports this feature?...im developing in c++...any sugestions on how to go about this would be really helpful.thx.

Advertisement
DirectShow will render AVIs, there's a sample in the SDK which renders an AVI to texture. The DirectShow SDK is now part of the Platform SDK.

You can also use Video for Windows to let you get the AVI frames and audio data which you can then use any way you want. I went with this approach because DirectShow wasn't suitable for my purposes.

Video for Windows: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/multimed/htm/_win32_video_for_windows.asp?frame=true

Even though it's been deprecated, I prefer DShow for doing things like this, since you can easily support more video formats and codecs. For example, you might want to have avi, mpeg, qt, ect. Of course, if you don't need these, than either option is fine.

Guest Anonymous Poster
thx guys..im just going thru the options u have mentioned..ill let u know if i stumble acrooss any difficulty..thx a lot.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!