GLSL Sampler Array Problems

Started by
3 comments, last by coordz 17 years, 5 months ago
I am trying to use an array of samplers in a fragment shader that I am writing, However I cannot seem to assign multiple textures to the array. In my shader I have: uniform sampler2D inputFrames[4]; Then to assign the array I have the following in my main program: GLuint samplersLoc = glGetUniformLocation(p, "inputFrames"); glUniform1iv(samplersLoc, 4, texture_units); // crashes here Where texture_units contains an array of all the texture units I want in the array of samplers. It just crashed on the line where I set the uniform variable. I have also tried to assign each array element independently but that crashes as well. If I just assign a single texture unit to the first element in the array it works: glUniform1i(samplersLoc, 0); // this works Also, if I use two different samplers (not in an array) it doesn't crash if I assign each to a different texture unit. I think this might have something to do with my particular graphics card's implementation of glsl since I have been noticing a lot of other quirky things like it doesn't like it if I return from the main function in a shader. I am using a Nvidia go 7400 with the optimal drivers (as of a couple weeks ago). I think I might also just be having problems with arrays in general. Also, I noticed that sometimes when I change a shader it seems to revert back to what it did a couple of edits ago, like it was cached on the graphics card or something. Anyone experienced that before? Thanks, Gordon
Advertisement
If you do something like

char temp[200];for(int i=0; i<4; i++){  sprintf(temp, "inputFrames[%d]", i);  uni = glGetUniformLocation(p, temp);  glUniform1i(uni, texture_units);}

(which works for me) when does it crash? How many texture units can you assign? Does 'uni' get set to a proper value each time?
It crashes on the second one. Its kind of weird though, the shader can actually access the sampler even if I dont even assign the sample a value. There are some weird things going on.
Ok, so I think that it wasn't working because I wasn't ever using the other element in the array in the shader so the gpu compiler was removing them when it compiled the shader at runtime.

Now I have a different problem. I never assign the sampler uniform variable and it still works! When I do assign the sampler uniform variable it doesn't work (but at least not it doesn't crash). Any Ideas?
Usually all uniform variables start off with a value of zero. This means all your textures will be bound to TEXTURE0.

Quote:When I do assign the sampler uniform variable it doesn't work (but at least not it doesn't crash).

So you can run through my little code snippet, uni is always a proper value and your prog doesn;t crash? And then your shader doesn't work?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement