• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
voss23

Tile based game directX

This topic is 4395 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been messing around with building a tile based game, but I want my characters to have animated sequences with pretty hi graphic quality. Do I need to use directX or is that overkill for a tile based game?

Advertisement
DirectX is simply a graphics library developed by MS to provide low-level graphics performance on top of Windows (which generally has very slow graphic performance). It is definitely not overkill since you will need some sort of graphics library anyway. There are other options such as SDL (Windows and Linux compatible) and OpenGL (for 3D). If you are targeting Windows based audience, then DirectX is probably your best bet for now.

If you want to allow yourself to try different graphics libraries without rewriting all of your code, then you can look into some of the wrapper libraries out there that abstract the actual implementation from the user.

You could look at MicroSoft's new XNA - it basically wraps DirectX but is much easier to use.

it's only beta at the moment, but is pretty good. By the end of the year, you'll be able to write XBox 360 games with it too. hurrah.

acemuzzy

What kind of 'tile based game' are you talking about?
I assume since you've said 'messing around with' that you already have something. Is it 2d or 3d based? And what do you mean by 'animated sequences with pretty hi graphic quality'? Are you looking for pre-rendered sprites or incredibly detailed 3D objects?

There's lots of different answers to your question really...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!