[web] Ok so what do I need to study to learn web design

Started by
18 comments, last by jbadams 17 years, 5 months ago
So whats the diffrence between XTML and XML

Im assuming there both diffrent correct?
Advertisement
XML is a container for data, that you can shape and mould any way you wish, to suit the purpose and format of your data.
XHTML is a pre-moulded container, that's used for displaying web pages. XHTML is based on XML.

you might also be interested in learning php and mysql at a latter point.

so, when are we going to see your first "hello world" web page :) ?
Look, if you don't know anything about web dev already, then just learn HTML. It is easy enough and it works, whether xhtml is 'better' or not. Believe me you will be plenty satisfied with HTML for now...
But he'll be just as satisfied with XHTML. It's not really any harder, just a little more strict so that he doesn't end up doing the stupid things that websites of yesterday did. I mean, that's like saying that he could be learning VB 6 because he'd be satisfied with it even though he could just learn VB .NET.

(note: it is XHTML, not XTML. Might hamper you if you try searching for XTML info, and I wouldn't trust a website that tried to teach you 'XTML')
XHTML is HTML reformatted to validate as XML. If you fancy doing anything XML related (and you will) then XHTML is the best choice to begin with. XHTML is a document belonging to a particular XML grammar, whilst HTML is best described as a mess :)

J
the w3school site should help you this. so try these hello world miniproblems

1) Have your webpage say Hello World using XHTML

2) Have your webapge say Hello World using XHTML and bolded and doubled in size with CSS

3) Have your webpage say Hello World using &#106avascript<br><br>That at the very least should get your feet wet!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

My suggestions:

1) Learn HTML and make some simple pages.
2) Learn a little &#106avascript to enhance your pages (MouseOver buttons can be fun).<br>3) Learn a serverside language such as ASP.NET or PHP<br>4) Learn how to use AJAX to make the web suck less.
--------
Whoisdoingthis.com - my stupid website about warning labels.
Quote:Original post by ChemicalImbalance
3) Learn a serverside language such as ASP.NET or PHP
4) Learn how to use AJAX to make the web suck less.

This is gonna sound stupid but... don't you need like servers for those?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:Original post by ChemicalImbalance
3) Learn a serverside language such as ASP.NET or PHP
4) Learn how to use AJAX to make the web suck less.

This is gonna sound stupid but... don't you need like servers for those?

Not exactly, you only need a computer to run as a server (runs Apache, MySQL, .NET, whatever). You can do it on your PC (XP Pro) or setup a dummy PC and run Linux or Windows Server as well. That's the "in a nut-shell" answer. [smile]

And the only stupid questions are the ones not asked... at least I try to live by that.
Quote:Original post by l2ob122
So whats the diffrence between XTML and XML

Im assuming there both diffrent correct?

That's XHTML. XHTML is a newer version of HTML.

XML is Extensible Markup Language, essentially just a structured way to mark up data. At this stage you don't need to worry about XML; XHTML follows XML structure, but you can just learn XHTML without actually knowing much (if anything) about XML.

Don't worry about HTML - while you can still use it, there's no real reason not to start off with XHTML immediately.

Start off with the W3Schools XHTML tutorial and learn to create basic pages. Once you're able to correctly mark up a document you can look into making it look good with the CSS tutorial.

You may also want to check out the following:
- The ALA Primer Part Two - Resources For Beginners
- The ALA Primer - A Guide For New Readers
(Yes, I intended to give you those in reverse order).

Get out there and try XHTML/CSS. Once you're able to work with those you could then investigate &#106avascript (keeping in mind that it's often just as important to know when <i>not</i> to use it as learning it at all) or some sort of server-side language. You don't need anything except a basic text editor and your web-browser to start experimenting, so go check out the W3Schools tutorials and start trying things out!<br><br><br>Oh, and you can essentially learn XHTML and CSS at the same time. They go together - XHTML provides structure, and CSS controls presentation. &#106avascript would be behavior, but should probably be left till you've learn at least the basics of creating static pages.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement