• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dpadam450

Triangle strips and performance

This topic is 4405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Currently I am using the .x format to load (unusual I know, but it was easy to use). My questions are... 1. Does anyone have solid stats of framerate drops from calling everytime vs triangle strip? 2. If I switch to .obj or whatever everyone usually uses, will all data be in triangles? Currently the .x format will say the following verts are a triangle or a quad (I suppose I could write a modifier to make all data triangles).

Advertisement
1.) The OpenGL Geometry Benchmark does just what you are asking, but the results are pretty much a given. You can find it here. Strips are faster them immediate mode, and lists vary with implementation. It is a little old, but still does what it is supposed too.

2.) Um, that will vary with the format, but even .obj can contain polygons with more then just 3 vertices, though they could be easily triangulated.

I don't know why I put triangle strips. But I've been looking at vertex arrays and interleaved vertex arrays, but it looks like the functions still go through the array(s) I pass them, and they go through 1 at a time sending data to the GPU. Basically I have too many draw calls already and its looks like this does the same thing. Maybe Display List is what I need?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!