project manager looking for designers/programmers

Started by
9 comments, last by M2tM 17 years, 4 months ago
Hello Im looking for programmers and designers for a new video game project that Im in charge of. I dont know anything about creating computer data and here in my current environment I have no connections to ask. I just need a few people to tell me whats possible in programming. Im NOT looking to become become a programmer myself, thats not my job, so I dont want to know everything about it, i just need some people that do so that they can tell me what is and isn't possible. Anyone that can help me I will be glad to fill them in on the details of the game, but here is a basic overview. Its a game designed for the Nintendo DS that is exapandable by collecting real life tiles and figures that have microchips in them. The data on the figures is read and sent to the DS, a world is then created inside the DS. Oh and fighting, monster breeding, card collecting, fishing, camping, cooking and wearing lots of different clothes are also parts of the game. Games similar in design are Pokemon and Final Fantasy Tactics for the GBA. That brings up my first question: Can one game have both those types in it? Or is it impossible because they are two different engines? Can a game have two different kind of engines? The game has already been designed and drawn up but we still havent been able to get over the technical game data programming nonsense. URGH it frustrates me to no end! Sponsorship from Nintendo of America is pending so I need to get some good feedback ASAP.
Advertisement
You need to have something to show to hope for any kind of support.

All you're eligible for at the moment is constructive criticism.

As has been said a million times before on these very forums: ideas are a dime a quintillion. The value is in actual work. Screenshots, even concept art and a demo would be nice.

If you have no interest in doing any programming on your own project why should anyone else?
Everyone hates #1.That's why a lot of idiots complain about WoW, the current president, and why they all loved google so much when it was new.Forget the fact that WoW is the greatest game ever created, our president rocks and the brainless buffons of America care more about how articulate you are than your decision making skills, and that google supports adware, spyware, and communism.
Available Budget?
Detailled concept (more than fighting, monster breeding, blah blah)?
----> Website?

Your age?
If you're in this position without a programmer on the team, then I wish you luck, because you're going to need it... or actually, you're going to need programmers. :) The programming is no nonsense - it's one of the most important aspects of your project. How did you get in this position without any previous experience with such projects? Don't they require you to have at least one finished game under your belt?

Anyway, yes, a game can have multiple different engines: graphics engine, physics engine, etc. I think you've got the wrong idea of what an engine really is here, and how it's used. While game engines are often built specifically for a certain kind of game, they're not responsible for the gameplay part. The game-specific code uses the game engine to fill up the screen with pretty art, to play sounds, calculate physics, and whatever other things are needed.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
If your company is a legitimate company, you'd better post a job offer on the Game Job part of GDNet (thanks to support gamedev.net! [smile]). If this is not a legitimate company, I suggest you to use the Help Wanted forum - you can ask for a mod to move this thread, but be aware that you'll need to reformat your original post to follow the Help Wnated guidelines (which are very strict (for very good reasons)).

Your idea does seem good, but how will you manage the production issue? I mean, all these real life items must be designed, created and distributed. This is something which is quite huge. Of course, you can build partnership with some other manufacturers (so they'll embed your chips in their product), but this has to be a good deal for them, since it is likely to soct them more money than to not doing so.

Regarding your question: a game can have any number of engine inside. There is no restriction about this, except the game complexity (the more code you have, the more time it takes to build it) and the technical capabilities of the console.

Regards,
Quote:Original post by BossKaizoku
....Its a game designed for the Nintendo DS that is exapandable by collecting real life tiles and figures that have microchips in them. The data on the figures is read and sent to the DS, a world is then created inside the DS. Oh and fighting, monster breeding, card collecting, fishing, camping, cooking and wearing lots of different clothes are also parts of the game.
So it requires some form of third party hardware to read these chips, plus the chips and all the figures and tiles.... this is going to be one expensive product to manufacture. Lucky the game isn't too complex....
Quote:Games similar in design are Pokemon and Final Fantasy Tactics for the GBA. That brings up my first question: Can one game have both those types in it? Or is it impossible because they are two different engines? Can a game have two different kind of engines?
whoops guess I spoke too soon. Is it possible to have a game engine with multiple play modes? sure it is... provided you have the cash to pay for all the extra development time.
Quote:The game has already been designed and drawn up but we still havent been able to get over the technical game data programming nonsense. URGH it frustrates me to no end!
How can you have designed and be here asking such basic questions? Either your programmers are incompetant (cos they can't answer the questions) in which case they won't be able to make the game... or you have no programmers, in which case your design isn't complete as there is no technical design doc.
Quote:Sponsorship from Nintendo of America is pending so I need to get some good feedback ASAP.
? Can you explain this please? Nintendo don't sponsor people who are making games.

You seem to have come up with the most complex and expansive game possible and yet lack even the most basic understanding of development. I suggest that you need to do a lot more than ask a couple of questions in a forum. You need to hire some staff who have experience making games.

[Edited by - Obscure on November 20, 2006 5:00:33 PM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Hmmm...I do not have any experience in programming. I am in the posistion I am in becuase I'm the one who thought up this idea. The video game stage of this product is really just an idea; the prototypes of the figures and tiles have already been designed and pre-fabricated. The costs for mass producing this product is not as astronomical as some may think, under proper financial planning of course.
Nintendo of America does offer sponserhips for video game designers. In fact they offer corporate sponsorships to just about anyone that has a lawyer with good enough contract diciphering skills. haha Obviously, this coming from a 18y.o. grafitti artist with no education in video game programming.
Ok I know that I dont sound legit on this, but as this is still in the developing stages, I really cant let to much info out about this to the wrong people (yes and i know your thinking that if thats the case, then what the hell am I doing trying to get help from a bunch of strangers on an open forum). Well like I said, I dont know whats possible when it comes to programming VGs, thats why Im trying to get some new connections via this forum.
The VG is based off of an existing real-life game and vice versa. So when I say that the game is already developed, Im speaking of the board game and game mechanics of the "game". haha I hope that made some kind of sense. The learning curve of the game is easy to overcome, allowing anyone to "get into it", but yet it is packed full of enough strategy and tactics too keep the audience interested. Its kinda like if you were to bring FFtactics to life (like a real game) then make a VG about a world where this board game is immensely popular. Everyone in the VG world is obssessed with playing this "game". As the real-life people play this game about playing a fun game, they will fantasize about this "game". The VG world is basically showing the VG player how fun it would be if this "game" existed. Then, as popularity grows, a "game WILL be released, it will be the very game which people have been fantasizing about the whole time. BOOM Instant addiction!
I got this idea to make a VG that would be a satire of the gamming culture how people in general possess the natural desire to get lost in fantasy (which I dont believe to be entirely wrong). Yet the greatest irony of them all is that the very game WILL in fact become the very thing that it pretends to be. The physcological effect the game has works on various levels of the human psyche to GUARANTEE addiction for all ages. haha
Plus its really fun to play.
For someone who is unexperienced in game development the best bet is to hire someone who is. Preferably a whole studio. For that you only need money and lawyers. The studio can take a design and given enough time and money they turn it into a game. This was the software part. For any game that requires hardware parts to work, only the biggest companies can do it, who have both in house software and hardwave development teams. Contacting them and trying to sell the idea is good, but the chances to actually get any money out of the whole deal are slim. (nintendo is a good example, because they have everything to make such a game) Trying to build your own team requires too much money or at least venture capitalists.
BossKaizoku, before you can manage a team, you should learn the English language, and clarity of expression. Please use punctuation and paragraphs in your posts.
Quote:Original post by scorpion007
BossKaizoku, before you can manage a team, you should learn the English language, and clarity of expression. Please use punctuation and paragraphs in your posts.

I think he's rather good. Better than most people who asks questions like this.

Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement