• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toyist

Bussiness Application of Game Technology

This topic is 4328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I manage business software development and I'm working on a side project that needs some of the features game engines provide. I just started looking into all of this and I'm looking for some general guidance. The basic functionality I need is world building and navigation, and MMO functionality (the networking side). No real AI, but maybe some bots for background. I plan on modeling real world places, say a large campus. I want people to be able to drive around the campus, and then get out and go into the buildings and explore. They can interact with the world or each other. I want to support both text and voice. I am looking to build a proof-of concept and then prototype right now. I can program, but I'm pretty rusty, play with C# mostly these days. I’m a pretty good 3D modeler for non-organics. I’ve been looking for a simple toolkit that will allow a beginner with limited programming skills (me)to develop a proof-of-concept. It is important that I can bring in real topology. I see many products, but I’m having trouble sorting through some of it to find a drag-and-drop to build a proof of concept. Or, is something like this pretty easy for someone that knows what they are doing, and it would be better to collaborate with someone and go straight to a prototype? (Anyone looking for a project?) For a prototype and finished product I have seen many technology options with their pros and cons. Torque, TV3D, Delta3D and 3DState look interesting. So does Big World MMO. If my priorities are network capacity/quality, landscape size and quality, and ability import real world data are these a good starting point? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Looks interesting, I'll take a closer look, thanks. Have you talked to anyone that has worked with this?

Quote:
Original post by Toyist
Hi All,

I manage business software development and I'm working on a side project that needs some of the features game engines provide. I just started looking into all of this and I'm looking for some general guidance. The basic functionality I need is world building and navigation, and MMO functionality (the networking side). No real AI, but maybe some bots for background.

I plan on modeling real world places, say a large campus. I want people to be able to drive around the campus, and then get out and go into the buildings and explore. They can interact with the world or each other. I want to support both text and voice. I am looking to build a proof-of concept and then prototype right now. I can program, but I'm pretty rusty, play with C# mostly these days. I’m a pretty good 3D modeler for non-organics.

I’ve been looking for a simple toolkit that will allow a beginner with limited programming skills (me)to develop a proof-of-concept. It is important that I can bring in real topology. I see many products, but I’m having trouble sorting through some of it to find a drag-and-drop to build a proof of concept.

Or, is something like this pretty easy for someone that knows what they are doing, and it would be better to collaborate with someone and go straight to a prototype? (Anyone looking for a project?) For a prototype and finished product I have seen many technology options with their pros and cons. Torque, TV3D, Delta3D and 3DState look interesting. So does Big World MMO. If my priorities are network capacity/quality, landscape size and quality, and ability import real world data are these a good starting point?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have you considered one of the many layers from Crystal Space? After Crystal Space itself, theres CEL which allows you to code something complex using entities and such, then theres celstart which is extensions to CEL using xml and/or python, and after that blender2crystal for making primitive walk around scene with doors opening kind of thing.

For what you're describing a mix of celstart (making all the interaction and sequences in Xml, doing the networking and entity management in python) and blender2crystal for scene definition and simple object reactions sounds appropriate.

Watch this video for more info.

Amir Taaki

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!