• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
glBender

[.net] [XNA] Difference between automatic and manual resource management

This topic is 4407 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the WindowsGame XNA template, there is a function called LoadGraphicsContent(), and it takes a boolean parameter called loadAllContent. If loadAllContent is true, you are supposed to override it to load automatic content AND manual content, otherwise just load the manual content. So I am wondering, what exactly is the difference between manual and automatic content?

Advertisement
This helped me understanding a bit better what is going on: (from the beta 1 to beta 2 doc)
"LoadGraphicsContent is called automatically when the graphics device is reset or recreated. If loadAllContent is true, Automatic resources (such as textures) should be loaded. Manual resources must be loaded in each call to LoadGraphicsContent and unloaded in each call to UnloadGraphicsContent."

In DirectX 9 when the device gets lost all resources that were claimed using this device will have to be reclaimed. As far as I understand automatic resources are the resources that are loaded by using the contentmanager all other stuff are things like runtime generated meshes etc. (e.g. a heightfield runtime inferred from a bitmap that is loaded as an embedded resource)

cheers

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!