[.net] What's Happening With Managed DirectX?

Started by
6 comments, last by Uphoreum 17 years, 5 months ago
I've been reading about DirectX's future now that XNA is here. I keep reading that MDX 2 was "canned". Does this mean that Managed DirectX is dead? Should I bother to learn it? Normally, I suppose I would learn XNA, but because of the changes in Beta 2, it's hard to find updated tutorials. I want to learn a Managed API, but I keep finding my self back with native C++ because I'm confused about the future and what I should be learning. EDIT: I just though of another related question. I'm still a bit confused about what the .NET Framework is. Is the .NET Framework going to replace the unmanaged Windows API etc.? Or will the unmanaged stuff always be around?
Advertisement
MDX 2 is dead. MDX 1.1 is under a standard 5 year support cycle, and works fine from both 1.1 and 2.0 apps.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
As for your other question, many of the new APIs are managed, like Avalon/WPF. I'm not clear on how that stuff is exposed to unmanaged code, if at all.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Will there be Managed DirectXs in the future? Or is the whole Managed DirectX thing dead?
Quote:Original post by Uphoreum
Will there be Managed DirectXs in the future? Or is the whole Managed DirectX thing dead?

Quote:Original post by Promit
MDX 1.1 is under a standard 5 year support cycle

So, for the five years following the release of MDX 1.1 (of which we've had, what, one or two already?), Microsoft officially support Managed DirectX. After that, you are completely on your own - there is no guarantee that Managed DirectX will even be installable on Microsoft OSes that come out then.

As a brand name, I don't think I've heard anyone say "there will never be anything new called 'Managed DirectX'," but it seems likely to me that XNA has replaced MDX permanently and they will not revive the codeline.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I guess what it comes down to, is I'm trying to decide what to learn. I know C++/SDL, and C#. I don't want to learn MDX, if it's going to be unused in the future. Learning XNA would be easiest, but professional developers probably won't be using it in the future will they? It seems to be geared towards hobbyists.

It seems like Microsoft wants managed code to be the future, but at the same time there aren't any managed API's worth learning.

EDIT: I can't tell if I should be working with managed code or unmanaged code. What will Microsoft's API's be like in the future?
From the XNA FAQ:

Quote:XNA FAQ
XNA Game Studio Express is intended for the hobbyist/small development group and therefore designed to help create non-commercial games. XNA Game Studio Professional will include additional functionality such as libraries supporting Xbox Live (Achievements, Leaderboards, Multi-player) needed by professional game developers wishing to create commercial, signed titles. XNA Studio will implement enterprise wide solutions aimed at the production pipeline and process by which games are developed in large AAA studios.

The XNA framework is intended to be used by both hobbyists and professionals.

Quote:Original post by Uphoreum
It seems like Microsoft wants managed code to be the future, but at the same time there aren't any managed API's worth learning.

XNA is the API that's worth learning :)

Okay, I see now, lol.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement