Tile Map Editor

Started by
6 comments, last by rudeness 17 years, 5 months ago
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by crackingod
I looked at tile studio, doesn't look to bad but didn't find much help on how to create customized export.

What I need is an editor that will output the character I need for the corresponding tile.

Tile Studio only outputs numbers, however the numbers refer to a rectangle "frame" in a tile sheet(a bitmap) also exported with the map. The images you load with the map into your game are NOT the same used to make the map.

This format is a lot more robust then the "letter per tile" tile system you seem to have going, since you can create many tiles via combining them in Tile Studio. If you want a way to tell what tile does what, assign them numbers and boundaries.

For customizing the output, create a simple map and try a bunch of the included exporters and examine the output. There's a file included with Tile Studio called tutor.html, use the "Creating a Tile Studio Definition (.tsd) file" section as a reference.

mmm, I should think about it, but for the moment I'd like to stick to my system as I built all my game architecture around this (actually this system is only for basic terrain, is not for buildings etc...).
Any idea if a prog could do that? Or I have to do my own map editor?

Roll your own and have it use the output mechanism that your 'architecture' uses.

A mouse cursor that traverses your map grid (with scrolling etc...) and keyboard letter input to set individual tiles (or a brush pattern).

The file writing (and loading) part is trivial.
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Yeah I guess I'll have to do my own editor, even though its gonna slow down development.
its not too hard to make simple one, just try it :p
wtf sry
Quote:Original post by lulul
wtf sry

Since you are logged in, you have the ability to Edit your dupe posts, then choose the options to delete them...
Quote:Original post by lulul

Yeah I know, almost finished it, but still, it slows down development, and I find it a lot less fun to code than the game itself :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement