Medhatter

Started by
13 comments, last by ShotgunNinja 17 years ago
Workshop participation thread for Medhatter
Advertisement
First, the obligatory "let me introduce myself".

I'm 25 and currently working as an IT/Management Consultant. While I've always enjoyed drawing it seems I've got to be in a particular mood before I can draw anything I'd call good. Since this tends to be when I should really be doing something else (i.e. working) alot of my good stuff ended up on scraps of paper that have all disappeared over time.

So, from this I'm hoping to achieve two things:

1. to get into a mindset of being able to consistently produce good work

2. keep this work together so I can start building up a portfolio

Guess I'd better get cracking...
Just a quick post before I leave work, first pic's something doodled in work a while ago, I've since finished it, will probably replace the image below with the full one once I've got my scanner sorted. Second pic's for the first assignment, some of the angles are a bit off because I've been getting up and down/changing position alot, guess that's where taking a reference pic helps out.

Anyway, apologies for the low picture quality, don't have access to a scanner in work so had to take pics with my phone. Hopefully will be able to submit future posts with better quality.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Not bad at all.

First pic: I like the sense of form that comes from the shading on the horns. You also do a pretty good job of communicating a leathery, wrinkled face covered in hair. Nice.

Second pic: Good line quality. Perspective is a bit off, and the stapler, in particular, looks a bit squashed, but you've noted those things yourself already. Good start.
My attempt for the 50s magazine cover. I think drawing people is one of the areas I'd really like to improve on. I don't think I've done too bad a job, in that it's recognisable as a person, my problem lies in getting the proportions and lines right so it's recognisable as the person I'm drawing instead of a person based on the subject, if that makes sense.

Two things I've noticed since posting are the jaw/chin being too big and the angle on her cigarette is totally off, surprising how different things look when you step back and look. Anyway, any other pointers on where I've gone wrong would be appreciated.

(The extra line down her head scarf and in her left eye (from the viewer's POV) are my initial draft guidelines that came out a bit too dark, not mistakes per se, but since I'm doing these in the office they're all in pen so I can't erase them)

Once more, apologies for the low picture quality, still no scanner, hopefully get that sorted over this weekend.

[Edited by - Medhatter on November 24, 2006 6:28:01 AM]
Horned demon

Minotaur fighting a dragon

Helmetted warrior

Finally got my scanner sorted, so, first pic's the finished version of what I originally posted.

Second one's something I drew a while back when I was feeling creative.

Third pic's a human warrior based off the Haradrim in LOTR.

Had a bit of a nightmare weekend so will continue with the last assignment tomorrow hopefully, any news on more assignments or is it a matter of waiting til X amount of people have completed the last one?

[Edited by - Medhatter on December 1, 2006 4:08:52 AM]

Tried to keep the background loosely sketched, moderately happy with the result

[Edited by - Medhatter on December 1, 2006 4:19:19 AM]
Quote:Original post by Medhatter
My attempt for the 50s magazine cover.

Not bad at all. The keys to recognizable people is the proportion of various features, and that's something I'm still working on myself. My life drawing instructor says that, when drawing people, it is important to continually check your measurements against your model. This will help you maintain the proper relative size and position of features.

Your monsters are decent, but you do a poor job of foreshortening their legs. If you can, get a book on animal anatomy and study it - good ones will show drawings, not photographs, from multiple perspectives, so you can see how to foreshorten various limbs.

As for your portrait of what looks to be Harrison Ford, the background is a poor choice. Choose a picture that has more distinct background objects, as it will help you construct a firmer figure outline. Alternately, just outline the whitespace.
Quote:As for your portrait of what looks to be Harrison Ford,

Not to be picky, but isn't that Dwight Schultz (Murdock from A-Team)?
Quote:Original post by Demosthenes
Quote:As for your portrait of what looks to be Harrison Ford,

Not to be picky, but isn't that Dwight Schultz (Murdock from A-Team)?

I think you're right.

I never liked him.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement