Oh crap, here come the cells!

Started by
12 comments, last by HopeDagger 17 years, 4 months ago
Enter Membrane Massacre. A deadly bacteria is sweeping the world, and medical science has lost all hope of defeating it. Luckily for you, Dr. Smallship, that you have invented a shrinking device that will allow you to shrink a heavily-armed space fighter to a microscopic level to battle the bacteria the old fashioned way: brute force. Equipped with five unique weapons of destruction and a steel-hard determination, you face the oncoming hoardes of sinister bacteria in your patient's body. Journey through randomly generated destructable environments and crush the cells that seek to devour the body's tissue and destroy your intrusive efforts. Watch your foes jiggle with realistic physics as you bombard them with gunfire. Nobody said that it'll be an easy battle, but for the sake of the human race, it's darn well worth a try! Membrane Massacre is a coffee-break style game that is ideal for rather short, fun-filled sessions that are randomly generated each time you play. It's the product of a 'competition' between myself and a friend to develop a fun game within the timeframe of half a month, and this is my result. So take a shot at the devious bacteria lurking within, and see if you can defeat the evil bacterium boss, El Mucho Membrane! Controls and other details included in the README file. Hope you enjoy! :) Download Membrane Massacre now!
Advertisement
Feedback is, of course, greatly appreciated. :)
Very impressive game. I can't believe you made this in half a month, now I feel lazy.

What can I say? Great concept, great weapons, and overall just a fun game. My only gripe is I didn't exactly like the freeze bomb, but then again maybe I just wasn't using it right.

Great work, HopeDagger!
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Super game! It cost me about 2 lives to beat the big bacteria [smile]. And that's only because:

Bad - I would prefer the movement of the ship to be absolute rather than relative. It would be more natural this way and more fun to swim around those tunnels.
Quote:Original post by LeChuckIsBack
Bad - I would prefer the movement of the ship to be absolute rather than relative. It would be more natural this way and more fun to swim around those tunnels.

Aye, I've been hearing this a lot. I plan to include Absolute-style contols as well as the current Relative-style in the next release.

Thanks for playing! :)
I played through it this morning, and it was awesome.

At first I thought it would be boring, then I realized the ..er.. terrain was destructible. Somehow it just became very enjoyable from there.

There was really only one problem for me. After the boss fight (which was great), I felt like the rest of the game had been insignificant.

I'd play it again, so you've definitely accomplished your goal. Great "coffee break" game.
Quote:There was really only one problem for me. After the boss fight (which was great), I felt like the rest of the game had been insignificant.

You're right. I agree that not enough emphasis was put on the 'journey' part of the game, and a lot was on the final boss bit. I hope to offset this in the next release with more levels and content. :)

Quote:Original post by crazyishone
I played through it this morning, and it was awesome.

At first I thought it would be boring, then I realized the ..er.. terrain was destructible. Somehow it just became very enjoyable from there.

I'd play it again, so you've definitely accomplished your goal. Great "coffee break" game.

Great! I'm very glad you enjoyed it; thanks for playing!
Hihi Funny game!
I love to play games whice was created by other people , not companys like blizzard and others company-they have no originaly ideas . Your Idea i like because it is originaly, i tkink, and now i play your game.

Like Strompyy I can't belive that you create this game in half a month...

/edit stompy :)

[Edited by - TheFlea on November 30, 2006 2:19:49 PM]
Quote:Original post by TheFlea
Your Idea i like because it is originaly, i tkink, and now i play your game.

Like Strompyy I can't belive that you create this game in half a month...

Thanks for the positive words! [smile]

I assure you that I did write it in half a month, but it was by no means easy. There was much shirking of schoolwork and neglecting of a social life involved. [grin]
You do know that half a month is just two weeks right?!

I like this game a lot. The game play is just plain fun! It makes one want to play it again. The variety of weapons and enemies coupled with the destructible terrain help a lot. Destructible terrain is one of those elements in a game that can mean every time one plays, it plays differently.

I'm not sure how the reproduction of the bacteria is determined. Does each type have a certain timer? Does each individual have a timer, or do all individuals of a type share a timer? Is reproduction controlled by how much a bacteria eats? Is there a fixed limit on the number of bacteria in a round?

In any event, I found that the growing numbers of bacteria added an element of panic :)

I didn't find the controls too bad. Aiming with the mouse is less frustrating than if one needed to turn using keys, and one can even circle strafe. The only thing I found was that, because one's view doesn't rotate with the ship, one finds themselves strafing in the opposite direction than one intended - especially when the ship is pointing down.

One thing I'd add is the ability to change weapons with the mouse wheel (especially because I'm an 'Arrow key' rather than 'WASD' man ;) but that might be just me :/ ).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement