pleeez HELP!!!!!!

Started by
7 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 4 months ago
hi everone im new to this site, i have not the slitest clue how to make games but i would reely like to learn how i was wondering if someone would point me in the direction of learning how,learning what all the things are and what they do i need to start form the VERRY bottom i have no computer knowledge at all :( so pleez help me thanx maybe if there is a program on a sep by step tutorial
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by thascarecrow
hi everone im new to this site, i have not the slitest clue how to make games but i would reely like to learn how i was wondering if someone would point me in the direction of learning how,learning what all the things are and what they do
i need to start form the VERRY bottom i have no computer knowledge at all :(
so pleez help me thanx maybe if there is a program on a sep by step tutorial
Welcome to the site :)

If you have no background in programming or computers, you might want to start with something like Game Maker. This would allow you to get something onscreen fairly quickly, and to get a feel for some of the larger issues (content, design) involved in game development. That should allow you to get your feet wet, and to decide whether you want to pursue things further.

I should say that I haven't used Game Maker myself, but from what I know of it it seems like it might be a good place to start.

Also, a couple tips on 'net etiquette', which might help you get more out of this site. First, people generally respond better to meaningful thread titles, such as 'Need help getting started in game development'. And, it's not too late! You can edit your original post using the 'edit' button in the upper right.

Second, although not everyone on these forums feels this way, many of us respond better to posts that are stylistically well-formed. This means complete sentences, punctuation, capitalization, that sort of thing. Among other things, cleaning up your writing can help prepare you for the rigors of programming, a discipline that requires careful attention to detail.
Since you're new to programming I second going with game maker. I used game maker since 4b which was back in 2001 I believe till 2005 with version 6.1 It's great for making 2D games or Doom SNES type games with semi 3D. I have a friend who coded with some dll's and added them to game maker to make a very neat racing game with graphics very much like Diddy Kong's Racing. Very impressed with what he could do, of course he was a professional 3D Model Artist. Game Maker however lacks a lot without outside dll's, however there are a ton of them for making 3D games; 2D (small rpgs online, nothing big) which should keep you busy for awhile, you can also learn GML.

I would suggest if you really want to learn programming you start with BASIC, which can be Dark BASIC, Blitz BASIC, ect...

Here are some sites to check out.

http://www.gamemaker.nl/
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/
http://www.blitzbasic.com/

Best Wishes!
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
As Jyk said if you want to get a game out quickly or get a feel for issues such as design and playability Game Maker is the way to go BUT.

I used Game maker 3.5 which was along time ago now and it was good for 2d games and apparently its advanced alot since then. However i DONT recommend Game Maker because it is far too abstract from the real process of writing a game in a programming language.

Game Maker makes game writing too easy and unfortunatly it has resulted in realy poor games that have taken no effort(with few exceptions), just check out the forums ;)

Basically if you use Game Maker you wont learn anything about programming or internal game architecture.

I recommend c++ it will be harder but in the long run it will pay off.
Check out http://www.cprogramming.com for a tutorial on the basics then when you want to try some graphics: http://www.libsdl.org/index.php and finally:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/

When your ready to write Doom 4 ;)
Quote:Original post by RobN
Basically if you use GameMaker you wont learn anything about programming or internal game architecture.

Mm, I disagree. At the heart of GameMaker is a game engine, and using any game engine will give you some insights into how that engine works internally. For example, say you want to set up collisions between sprites - does GM have you set up bounding boxes, or specify collision mask images, or what? However it does it, it will give you some leads into how collision detection can be implemented.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

In Game Maker you can do GML that checks if your X or Y of your current controlled sprite or any object for that matter is => # to check or if the X and/or Y of the sprites touch. Game Maker may be very simple; however it does indeed teach basic game programming. Not to the level of C++ but to understand how things work in general.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Most GM users arnt interested in GML and just use the drag and drop features.
e.g. each object has an on collision event, which they drag and drop the response. They dont learn anything about how the collision is detected or how the frames are drawn or what frames are ;)

The level of programming teaching is so low i don't recommend it.
My first programming experience was with a Game Maker. You can learn a lot by using the scripting feature, and even the drag and drop features can teach you something.

After that, I'd recommened Python and PyGame.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by RobN
e.g. each object has an on collision event, which they drag and drop the response. They dont learn anything about how the collision is detected or how the frames are drawn or what frames are ;)

They may not learn anything about the algorithm used to perform the collision test, but they do learn about the data that such an algorithm is fed with (because if they don't create that data, they won't get any collisions). That can be an important clue as to how the collision detection algorithm works.

For example, imagine that it asks you to define a bounding rectangle for each sprite, and that the onCollision event is fired when two sprite's rectangles overlap. Implies certain things about how the collision test is performed, no?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement