Sign in to follow this  

3DSMax Model Exporting

This topic is 4037 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Firstly, apologies if this is on the wrong board. I wasn't sure of the most appropriate one. I am currently working on quite a large game engine and it uses a few D3DX functions and most importantly, the .x file format. For a more cross-platform friendly approach, we've decided we want to cut out all D3DX functionality and this includes using .x files. None of us have any knowledge of MaxScript and we're currently working to a deadline so there's no time for us to learn it, in an attempt to write our own exporter. Using another modelling package isn't an option, as our artists refuse (!) to learn to use a new package whilst we have a tight deadline. My question is thus; Are there any free/open source/commercial 3DS Max exporters there? If so, what's the best one?

Go for collada: http://www.khronos.org/collada/

Collada is a free, xml based, model content exchange format supported by many modeling tools like max (as plugin). There are free libs(DOM) available to use in your project.

--
Ashaman

This topic is 4037 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.