"Next Gen" game engine design

Started by
64 comments, last by ccanan 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by cpiasminc
I fail to see how this disputes that recursion is bad performance-wise.

First of all, traversing a KD tree doesn't need recursion. It can be done iteratively by pushing the far node to a stack if it needs to be traversed later. Havran's PhD thesis demonstrates the algorithm very simply.

Second, accessing memory randomly is a far greater expense than the cost of recursion. An L2 cache miss is about 500 cycles, while setting up a stack frame and branching is like 30 (since the stack is almost never an L2 miss). The real enemy is memory latency in every case. There are no 'bad algorithms' just 'bad implementations'.

For instance, an enterprising PS3 developer might break his KD tree into self-contained 4kb pages that can be prefetched to the SPE, and the entire tree traversed with almost zero latency penalty. Next Gen Engine design is all about algorithms that employ predictable fixed-footprint memory access with very minimal indirection.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Wavesonics
One thing I will say is, the discussion keeps going back to the graphics which is really the renderer, not the engine (stop me when I begin to sound stupid).

I would kinda of thing, engine design must be reaching a point where we have identified the common problems associated with engines and probably, by this point, identified some "best possible" answers, like idk... a hash table, we've pretty much figured out the best implementation for a given type of hash table.
Whatever kind of game you do, whichever algorithm you choose, just free the CPU as much as possible. Now, that GF6800 has become low-end, you aren`t limited in a triangle-count (as it was few yrs ago), you don`t even have to use normal maps (unless absolutely necessary) everywhere. Now, that next generation of gfx cards has arrived, you soon (in ~3 yrs time) won`t have to optimize for equal balance of vertex/pixel processing, since it`ll be distributed to whichever "gfx core" is actually available.
But always profile the hell out of it and let the gfx card actually do something other than sit idle waiting for the CPU.
If I was to design engine now, I`d definitely incorporate support of multiple CPUs, so you can offload it, and let the other core(s) handle AI/Sound/Input or whatever turns out in your app as most time-consuming.

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Quote:Original post by Wavesonics
I'd LOVE to get Carmack’s input on this topic since he has been one of the driving forces behind many of the engine techniques the industry has used

While there will continue to be new engines, just like there are new programming languages and off-line renderers, there is going to be much less of a pressing need for them. Some people will still do it because some people like making new things like that. But the chances of it becoming a landmark event for a broader, industrial scale, I think, are less likely.

- John Carmack

I was just going over a design on paper for all the main parts of the engine, i want to share some of the basics here so to get a bigger discussion going and maybe try and get some help and have other people learn something too ;)

I am not looking much at implementation details here, just design in an oop uml style way.

First off, most games now have a multiplayer support and this can be commonly over a client/server model.

There is normaly a scene manager class which deals with space partitioning and culling and also collision etc, although the physics one may be in a different tree like structure.

I was thinking of having all entities that are loaded stored in a vector and then have each of the trees reference them through pointers.

Just noticed that OGRE has position/rotation info of the entity stored in a scene node object that is attached to the tree and references the entity object which just has the mesh data etc. This to me seems a bit odd as If you wanted to incorporate physics then position and orientation should be shared and would be best stored in a the entity class?

Now the way I was thinking of it was the scene manager finds all objects visible and sends thier transform, material info and vertices to the renderer, and the renderer will deal with batching, changing render states etc etc. so an entity will never have draw style calls in it, though the scene manager might be able to tell the renderer to change states?

I will leave that part just now as obviously I dont have a lot of knowledge, what would your ideas be?

one other important thing i wanted to add here, is game logic.
Now I have a game state manager which is responsible for changing from say menu to running or paused etc. each just has init and update functions in them and they are implemented in scripts. They are responsible for setting up gui for menu and loading basic engine realted resources. However I am seeing less need for this class now as it was being used to control the game logic and i am not sure if thats a great idea. e.g it was checking if the arrow key was pressed then updating the players position.

Now i was thinking that each entity can have a script file with a list of behaviours in it, and if player is an entity it might be best cheking input in here? Also NPC AI functions could be in this script aswell as trigger functions for changing level etc, thought?

Finally, all of these would be dispatching messages so they can be processed and sent over the network if need be.
So say the input manager sent a message saying that the left key was pressed (or would it be best for it just to save states and the player script just check a state?)
and so when the player entity got it, it generated a player move message and dispatched that to the engine to process (would it be best for player to update position or just send the old position, direction and velocity to the scene manager?).

Basically how should these sort of messages be generated and processed? I know not one way is correct but the goal here is to try and make each class not have to rely or know much about other classes. So my entity could just create the message and attach data send it to my engines main event handler and let that filter it all the way down to who needs it and let that class deal with it.

I.m gonna leave that just now as my post got way too long lol, i'm gonna try and come up with some better designs for this thing.

Look forward to more replys.
you want a peak at the future, check out
http://www.naughtydog.com/comingsoon/index.html
claimed to be actual game footage
i have no doubts this quality will be commonplace in a couple of years
Quote:Original post by zedzeek

There was a higher quality version of this trailer some time ago. Maybe GameTrailers ?

Of course this is in-game footage, it would be a weak render anyway. Environment has average amount of polys (I`m sure PS3 can handle more complex scenes, but they haven`t had enough time yet to accommodate for well-known reasons, so we`ll see much nicer stuff in 2-3 yrs time). Very nice textures there and animations are simply beatiful, almost seamless, still interpolation is visible, but not that much as in Gears Of War. What we don`t know is that how many of these animations are simply prescripted for the sake of the trailer, and how many are going to be actually context-sensitive.

Which leads me to the point: It`s the art that drives the next-gen, not the engine/effects itself.

i have no doubts this quality will be commonplace in a couple of years

This is obvious, but you haven`t realized one important consequence of this: This quality won`t be enough for PC budget games in 3 yrs time, since Crysis is raising the bar again in 6-months time and in 3-ys time there`ll be successor to Crysis, thus raising the bar even more.
And this is much worse of an issue, since this means that small teams will have to compete again with the 50+/100+ teams, so we can only do it in the engine / graphics quality area (as I`ve also always done), but can`t in amount of content produced.
You can get away with ugly (or not-up-to-date) graphics on consoles, but you can`t in PC/budget area.

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Quote:Original post by VladR
You can get away with ugly (or not-up-to-date) graphics on consoles, but you can`t in PC/budget area.

Actually you can. The GTA PC games sold very well, as well as the console versions, and they have graphics of 2000.

It all depends on the type of game you are developing. A shooter usually needs top-notch graphics, a racing game almost always needs them (well, games like Carmageddon are an exception).

But Sims? World of Warcraft? Top sellers, below-average graphics tech.
~dv();
Quote:Original post by dv
Actually you can. The GTA PC games sold very well, as well as the console versions, and they have graphics of 2000.

But you don`t realize that all sequels can afford having ugly gfx, since they already have a huge fan-base that`ll run to shops as soon as the game is out, no matter how the game looks. It`s been proved several times already - be it GTA, Hitman or many other sequels.

It all depends on the type of game you are developing. A shooter usually needs top-notch graphics, a racing game almost always needs them (well, games like Carmageddon are an exception).
You always need a top-notch graphics if you aren`t a proven team yet with solid sales history.
Even then, it`s hard to get the game on shelves. Because, having the nicer graphics than the average games in genre is just first assumption that all publishers have. Then, it must fit into their portfolio and only then somebody shall take a look at it and play it whether he likes it. If he doesn`t like it, it doesn`t make any difference that graphics is better than in current titles already on the market (talking from personal experience here). And PC retail spce is getting more and more expensive, since the number of free slots is lowering, thus they are choosing less and less games.

But Sims? World of Warcraft? Top sellers, below-average graphics tech.

The execution of these games isn`t the primary factor of their sales success, it`s the people behind them and the marketing. I bet that if Sims were made by some smaller unknown studio (with same quality), they would have a really hard time getting the game even to budget section. Financial backing of huge publisher can make this difference.

But, the same quality would be more than enough on X360. You just have to have the build running on X360. That`s just the way it is.

You always need a top-notch graphics if you aren`t a proven team yet with solid sales history.

Really, tell that to the guy who wrote tetris, Sega swirl, Animal Crossing. None of them were done by "proven" teams, in fact two of those were done by individuals. I'll agree that top-notch graphics help, but by no means are they necessary.

Cheers
Chris

[Edited by - chollida1 on November 29, 2006 11:37:18 AM]
CheersChris

There was a higher quality version of this trailer some time ago. Maybe GameTrailers ?

This maybe? Seems roughly the same quality though.

Of course this is in-game footage, it would be a weak render anyway. Environment has average amount of polys (I`m sure PS3 can handle more complex scenes, but they haven`t had enough time yet to accommodate for well-known reasons, so we`ll see much nicer stuff in 2-3 yrs time). Very nice textures there and animations are simply beatiful, almost seamless, still interpolation is visible, but not that much as in Gears Of War. What we don`t know is that how many of these animations are simply prescripted for the sake of the trailer, and how many are going to be actually context-sensitive.

Agree. I think that one basic thing that is going to be an important factor in the future is simple ([smile]) high-frequency detail. For most applications (micro-albedo, HF normals, etc), procedural creation of HFD seems reasonably easy. I imagine that most of us will be generating HFD almost entirely implemented within procedural shaders in the coming few generations of video cards (and in 360/PS3 as development matures).

Which leads me to the point: It`s the art that drives the next-gen, not the engine/effects itself.

High-five!

I think that with expenses skyrocketing, procedural content (at every scope) will be getting far more emphasis than it has in the past. This can apply to nearly everything - though I figure that characters will remain largely in the artist's domain for a while still. Though... NaturalMotion is showing us just how much assistance we can give to the artists already [smile].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement