Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AndyEsser

glGetString Strange Behaviour

This topic is 4253 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hey All I'm using Visual Basic and I've decided I'd like to find out the Vendor, Version and Renderer information. So I use glGetString() just like anybody else. However, instead of returning a string with the values of my gfx card maker etc, it just displays a load of numbers. Any know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
What are you doing with the return value of glGetString()? Perhaps you could post that bit of code, along with the output that you're getting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
At the moment I'm solely just getting the output printed by a MsgBox

msgbox glGetString(GL_Version)

The number that the MsgBox comes up with always changes, it's never the same number twice.

This is called after I've finished all my init code so there is a valid rendering context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is the context only created or also made current? In my experience (last time with the shader version string) the context has to be bound before asking it for something. And if so, have all involved routines returned an okay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Indeed, make sure you have a valid context associated with your thread. You need to use the wiggle API for this (wglXXX functions).

Also, show us the declaration of the glGetString entry point (the one with Declare Function...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm certain that I've got a valid context since I can perform a variety of other OpenGL functions without any problems. It currently sits in my InitGL code but I can even move it to my Draw routine and it still won't work.

Also, I believe that glGetString() is Declared within vbogl.tbl to which I just reference my project, therefore I have no control over the declaration. Since it comes up with the tooltip when I start writing glGetString() I'm assuming it's declared correctly.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!