Sign in to follow this  

glGetString Strange Behaviour

This topic is 4036 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey All I'm using Visual Basic and I've decided I'd like to find out the Vendor, Version and Renderer information. So I use glGetString() just like anybody else. However, instead of returning a string with the values of my gfx card maker etc, it just displays a load of numbers. Any know what I might be doing wrong? Thanks

At the moment I'm solely just getting the output printed by a MsgBox

msgbox glGetString(GL_Version)

The number that the MsgBox comes up with always changes, it's never the same number twice.

This is called after I've finished all my init code so there is a valid rendering context.

Is the context only created or also made current? In my experience (last time with the shader version string) the context has to be bound before asking it for something. And if so, have all involved routines returned an okay?

Indeed, make sure you have a valid context associated with your thread. You need to use the wiggle API for this (wglXXX functions).

Also, show us the declaration of the glGetString entry point (the one with Declare Function...).

I'm certain that I've got a valid context since I can perform a variety of other OpenGL functions without any problems. It currently sits in my InitGL code but I can even move it to my Draw routine and it still won't work.

Also, I believe that glGetString() is Declared within vbogl.tbl to which I just reference my project, therefore I have no control over the declaration. Since it comes up with the tooltip when I start writing glGetString() I'm assuming it's declared correctly.

Thanks

This topic is 4036 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.