Sign in to follow this  
IKG

OpenGL Math frustration..

I've had enough with other game engines. Truth is, I've always liked the idea of creating games from scratch. Just that feeling of accomplishment and credibility. Years ago I used to mod games and that was it. Since then I started programing. First I took a 4-week course on C++. Shortly after I started using BlitzBasic (B3D) because C++ and graphics were way too advanced for me. Right now I'm currently learning/using BlitzMax and taking another course on C++ and later on Java. Here's the really tough part. I would LOVE to be able to start using OpenGL and making simple 3D applications/games from scratch. Problem is, I'm not good with math. I don't even know trigonometry. I'm pretty much screwed. Anyone have any "realistic" ideas as opposed to just giving up? Thanks. Edit: Has anyone read this - http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-OpenGL-Game-Programming-Development/dp/1592003699/ I bought some 3D math book awhile back, but it obviously didn't help since I needed to know the REAL math first (trig and etc.) [Edited by - IKG on November 23, 2006 11:26:36 PM]

Practice dude, its the only way. Knowledge of 3d math is a necessity, it can take a bit of time to learn but patience and commitment will see you through. You dont really need to know the complex stuff when starting out.

Download tutorials, hell, even just download someone elses math library to learn what things do.

Start with 2d vector math. Addition, subtraction, scaling, normalization etc.
Grab some graph paper and draw it out. Then i highly suggest you learn Sin & Cos. The remaining trignometry functions can be left till your comfortable with everything else.

Do your first games in 2D. Dont think about 3D until you can do a 2d side scroller or topdown shooter. Asteroids is a perfect place to start - only simple math required.

Just be patient with it. The biggest thing about the games industry is the will to expand your knowledge and the ability to learn. If you really want to be a games programmer you need to understand that =)

Best of luck.

Thanks guys, as long as you think it's possible then I'll definitely try. I'll come back later to update this thread.

Of course it's possible , we all have to start somewhere. It just depends how motivated you are. And if you pick up a book on linear algebra, don't skip the exercises at the end of the chapter. Working something out for yourself is the best way to learn.

@ Exorcist: Do you have any good tutorials on the "beginner" stuff you first mentioned? 2D vector math and etc.