Beginner help please

Started by
16 comments, last by blakedev 17 years, 5 months ago
I am new to game programming and I was wander if anyone could give me some suggestions of books, compilers, engines or anything I may need. Also, I know this is a repetitivly asked question, but what language should I use? I will mostly be working on FPS at the moment and move up to thirdperson and hopfully eventually online MORPGs. So whatever language or languages would be best for that. And also the best way, tuts and links to thinks that can teach me to use it.
Advertisement
Realistically, you should finish a smaller project before attempting an FPS/TPS, and especially before even thinking about an MMO.

I prefer the Visual Studio Express IDE, which comes with a really good compiler, then there's also Code::Blocks, which allows any compiler and comes with MingW (Windows version of gcc).

The Irrlicht engine is pretty beginner-friendly. Ogre is also good, but takes a little while getting used to.
alright, I am trying to donload Ogre 3D and dontknow what to download, theres like 30 different things
(Assuming you're on Windows)

On the ogre3d.org homepage click Prebuilt SDKs, then download the package for the compiler that you are using.
alright, sorry if I am a bother but i am new.
but I dont have a compiler, I saw you said somthing about a compiler but you never said what I should use
Compiler's really a matter of preference.
For C++, Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2005 and Code::Blocks are two popular environments:

C::B
MS Visual C++ EE

C++ isn't the only programming language available. There's also python, C#, Java, Visual Basic and many others.
it tells me I must install Windows XP Service Pack 2 Update Information

were do I get it?
Blakedev is on the right track here Recluse..

Please please please do not take any offense, but if you're having even a bit of difficulty just getting something compiled, I really strongly urge you consider a much more "ramped down" project instead of an FPS much less an MMO.

My favorite beginner project that I use when picking up something new is Asteroids. It's complex *just* enough to really get a feel for what's going on.

The "CodingForFun" section at the microsoft developer area has some good instructions for getting everything downloaded and configured on your machine.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/article.aspx?articleid=905421

hth,
none takin, I know for a fact I have to do programming and all the stuff before even coming close to doing FPS let a lon and MMO. Those are just the types of games I have a goal to make.

Now that thats out of the way, I started to download Visual Studio Express 2005 but as I said above it tells me I must install Windows XP Service Pack 2 Update Information.

I have no clue were to get it
[google]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement