Sign in to follow this  
cutovoi

OpenGL Performance optimization in OpenGL

Hi fellows In my app there are some 3DS objects on the screen. As the objects growing in quatity, my app is going slow(a little bit obviously). In my OpenGL initialization I enabled Backface culling, depth test and other things. For each 3DS objects in my screen they are in a display list. This is necessary, cause if I don't do this the app crashes and I believe that is a performance optimization. I would like to know some tips to OpenGL performance optimization. Any help is welcomed. Thanks for the support guys

If they are all static objects, then display lists should be giving you optimal performance.

Other things to check out

1) Frustum culling -Dont render what you dont see
2) Occlussion culling - Dont render stuff which is behind something else.

i havent used this tool before but i hear it can help in rendering performance significantly. its nvidia's triangle strip generator tool from what i understand it generates a new triangle strip and optimizes for cache hits on your video cards post TnL vertex cache. just make sure you know what the cache size (it has nvidia specs in the readme 16 byte for geforce1/2, and 24 byte for geforce 3)

if you arent utilizing the cards vertex cache you wont be getting the best performance possible. you have the right idea by using display lists, that will minimize the data transfer across the bus to the video card, but if that bus transfer wasnt your bottleneck you probably wont see any performance gain from it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Partner Spotlight

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By xhcao
      Before using void glBindImageTexture(    GLuint unit, GLuint texture, GLint level, GLboolean layered, GLint layer, GLenum access, GLenum format), does need to make sure that texture is completeness. 
    • By cebugdev
      hi guys, 
      are there any books, link online or any other resources that discusses on how to build special effects such as magic, lightning, etc. in OpenGL? i mean, yeah most of them are using particles but im looking for resources specifically on how to manipulate the particles to look like an effect that can be use for games,. i did fire particle before, and I want to learn how to do the other 'magic' as well.
      Like are there one book or link(cant find in google) that atleast featured how to make different particle effects in OpenGL (or DirectX)? If there is no one stop shop for it, maybe ill just look for some tips on how to make a particle engine that is flexible enough to enable me to design different effects/magic 
      let me know if you guys have recommendations.
      Thank you in advance!
    • By dud3
      How do we rotate the camera around x axis 360 degrees, without having the strange effect as in my video below? 
      Mine behaves exactly the same way spherical coordinates would, I'm using euler angles.
      Tried googling, but couldn't find a proper answer, guessing I don't know what exactly to google for, googled 'rotate 360 around x axis', got no proper answers.

References:
      Code: https://pastebin.com/Hcshj3FQ
      The video shows the difference between blender and my rotation:

• By Defend
      I've had a Google around for this but haven't yet found some solid advice. There is a lot of "it depends", but I'm not sure on what.
      My question is what's a good rule of thumb to follow when it comes to creating/using VBOs & VAOs? As in, when should I use multiple or when should I not? My understanding so far is that if I need a new VBO, then I need a new VAO. So when it comes to rendering multiple objects I can either:
      * make lots of VAO/VBO pairs and flip through them to render different objects, or
      * make one big VBO and jump around its memory to render different objects. 
      I also understand that if I need to render objects with different vertex attributes, then a new VAO is necessary in this case.
      If that "it depends" really is quite variable, what's best for a beginner with OpenGL, assuming that better approaches can be learnt later with better understanding?

• By test opty
      Hello all,

On my Windows 7 x64 machine I wrote the code below on VS 2017 and ran it.
      #include <glad/glad.h>  #include <GLFW/glfw3.h> #include <std_lib_facilities_4.h> using namespace std; void framebuffer_size_callback(GLFWwindow* window , int width, int height) {     glViewport(0, 0, width, height); } //****************************** void processInput(GLFWwindow* window) {     if (glfwGetKey(window, GLFW_KEY_ESCAPE) == GLFW_PRESS)         glfwSetWindowShouldClose(window, true); } //********************************* int main() {     glfwInit();     glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MAJOR, 3);     glfwWindowHint(GLFW_CONTEXT_VERSION_MINOR, 3);     glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_PROFILE, GLFW_OPENGL_CORE_PROFILE);     //glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_FORWARD_COMPAT, GL_TRUE);     GLFWwindow* window = glfwCreateWindow(800, 600, "LearnOpenGL", nullptr, nullptr);     if (window == nullptr)     {         cout << "Failed to create GLFW window" << endl;         glfwTerminate();         return -1;     }     glfwMakeContextCurrent(window);     if (!gladLoadGLLoader((GLADloadproc)glfwGetProcAddress))     {         cout << "Failed to initialize GLAD" << endl;         return -1;     }     glViewport(0, 0, 600, 480);     glfwSetFramebufferSizeCallback(window, framebuffer_size_callback);     glClearColor(0.2f, 0.3f, 0.3f, 1.0f);     glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);     while (!glfwWindowShouldClose(window))     {         processInput(window);         glfwSwapBuffers(window);         glfwPollEvents();     }     glfwTerminate();     return 0; }  
      The result should be a fixed dark green-blueish color as the end of here. But the color of my window turns from black to green-blueish repeatedly in high speed! I thought it might be a problem with my Graphics card driver but I've updated it and it's: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti.
      What is the problem and how to solve it please?
  • Popular Now