Anything similar to Javadoc in C++?

Started by
15 comments, last by capn_midnight 17 years, 4 months ago
I've been using C++ in my spare time, but never did any larger projects. But now I have this idea on a project that potentially could evolve into something large. But I'd need very detailed documentation, and since I recently began with java at the university I thought of the javadoc program which is fantastic. Now to the question, is there a similar program but for c++ that converts special comments into a detailed documentation of your code?
Advertisement
Doxygen?
My vote goes for Doxygen. VS2005 has an XML-based tool as well, but I'm not nearly as happy with it, since it tends to be painfully verbose (esp. compared to Doxygen).

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

You're probably looking for Doxygen.

I'd like to point out that "very detailed documentation" is a lot more than a set of glorified code comments though. [smile]
I prefer NaturalDocs
what sucks about those documentation tools mentioned here is the visual format. There are big words here, small words there, colored blocks up and down the page, thin horizontal rules, fat horizontal rules, hyper links that link to an anchor on the same page, and worst of all is the description of a class's internals is packed into one page. It is inconvenient for me to have to scroll through a huge page to find what I'm looking for, especially if the page is clamored with unnecessary visual details. Documentation with these kinds of user interfaces is very puzzling.

DoxyS is the tool for the job.

On the other hand, you're looking for something similar to Javadoc.
Since DoxyS does not suck, it is prrroobably not what you're looking for. lol
Quote:Original post by badbrain
what sucks about those documentation tools mentioned here is the visual format. There are big words here, small words there, colored blocks up and down the page, thin horizontal rules, fat horizontal rules, hyper links that link to an anchor on the same page, and worst of all is the description of a class's internals is packed into one page. It is inconvenient for me to have to scroll through a huge page to find what I'm looking for, especially if the page is clamored with unnecessary visual details. Documentation with these kinds of user interfaces is very puzzling.

I agree, most of the DoxyGen output may look like a real mess, likewise for the DoxyGen source code itself, however for quite some time now DoxyGen supports not only HTML and LaTex (PDF) as output formats, but also XML-that way, you can simply use the generated XML in order to transform it to arbitrary output formats, i.e. using XSL stylesheets.
I really like the screenshots from DoxyS.
If you really want JavaDocs for c++, try this one!!!

Click
The example is the documentation generated by running the old VC6 MFC
classes through the tool.

Very cool.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Quote:Original post by evolutional
I prefer NaturalDocs

I second that, mainly because the documentation style is natural enough that the comments work quite well as readable comments too. (Almost no formatting.)
The output also looks quite good, which is also a plus for me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement