Installing MS VS 2005 without SP2 - Possible?

Started by
11 comments, last by readme 17 years, 4 months ago
Is it possible to install MS VS 2005 with only Service Pack 1 and without installing Service Pack 2? My system runs perfectly fine, I can't possibly install SP2, because it'll make trouble with certain programs I know of and I'm not in the mood to change a running system. If not, what's the reason for that?
Advertisement
More and more software relies on parts of Service Pack 2 to run, so I'd guess not.

What issues do you have with Service Pack 2? You really should be running it... I've personally not seen any software stop working after installing SP2.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

It is possible. I did it on my work PC. heh.

It seemed to work too; at least I never ran into any problems.

It was a while back, but I think you need to grab the iso, extract it using isobuster and then, instead of running setup, run the install application that's in a sub-directory.

Sorry I can't be more specific. This was a long time ago and we've since moved to SP2 so I couldn't even replicate it to be sure.

Link to ISO

[Edited by - dnsauve on November 24, 2006 8:05:53 AM]
I found this.

Seems to be possible.

Question: These three applications (You need to make sure to manually pre-install Windows Installer 3.1, the .NET Framework 2.0 and the MSXML 6.0 Parser), what are these and can I install them without any trouble on a SP1 system?

I tried SP2 a while ago, didn't like it and my good old firewall has problems with it, too (not because of the MS firewall).
Option 1 sounds about right. This is pretty much how I did. I remember messing with command line options to get it working.

MSXML 6.0 - Requirements list SP1 as acceptable.
.NET 2.0 - Lists SP2 as a requirement but I'd try anyways.
Windows Installer 3.1 - Will work on SP1.

So, looks like .NET 2.0 is the only problem here. I'd try anyways since I know for a fact VC2005 can be installed on SP1.

setup.exe /NO_BSLN_CHECK sounds like how I did it.

Good luck!
Well, if this guy lists it as a work around for a non-SP2 system, it should work, right? ;)

Still, what are these programs? Will they mess with anything else?
They shouldn't cause any problems.

MSXML is an XML parser that you can access as a service from C++ (and other languages).

.NET 2.0 is a framework for a lot of applications. It can be used from any .NET language and it's actually pretty nice to work with. A lot of Microsoft software is using it now and it's actually built into SP2 and Vista.

Windows Installer 3.1 is the newest version of the windows installer engine. I believe it's what processes .MSI files. Not sure what's so special about 3.1, but I haven't had any issues with it.

You could always check the links above for more details about each app if you want to get the nitty-gritty details.
This reminds me, I'm still using VS 6 as primary tool.
You can install both VS 6 and VS 2005 on the same partition, right?
Also these three programs won't cause any trouble?
Maybe some one else can confirm that, but I don't believe they will cause any conflicts.

Any specific reason you want both? VC6 is pretty old, and I don't think it conforms to standards very well.

2005 is free and much, much better.

I actually tossed my VC6 discs into the trash after I received 2005.
Well, it's just that until recently I just didn't need an upgrade. My programming projects aren't that huge or advanced and I didn't see a reason to switch to something else. Maybe I'll like it a lot and that will change.

But I will never surrender to SP2! My next Windows update will be Vista. Maybe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement