Sign in to follow this  
tHomahwk

Creating and using Dlls

tHomahwk    122
Currently, I'm using one BIG .exe file, but I've been wanting to seperate it out, into 2 .dlls and one .exe and eventually others for tools and such. The issue is that when I separate it into dlls, it does not seem to create the .lib file so that I can link everything properly. It compiles and creates the .dll file just fine however. I have tried comparing what I did, with the Free 3D graphics engine I'm using (Ogre 3D if your really interested), but couldn't find any differences except that I am compiling as a "Multi-threaded debug" with no Manifest file (I would expect these to not effect it at all). I had originally changed all the paths (and directories) from the default MSVC ones, but it wasn't creating the .lib file, so I deleted everything (minus the source files of course!) and left them at the default. Still it is not working. I tried both subsystems "Console" and "Windows", but neither of these seem to have an effect. I tried changing the paths and name of the export library through "Config->Linker->Adv. Properties->Import Libraries" Do you guys have any advice on what I might be doing wrong? MSVC 2005, C++. tHom

Ready4Dis    180
Sounds like your missing the definition file that tells the compiler which functions to include in the .lib file. It's a very simple listing, most DLL tutorials explain it. I have most of my game engine in a .dll file, and i only have one function supported, that's a function to get version information, and to give me a reference to a class to do all the loading/rendering.