Sign in to follow this  
l2ob122

[web] Free Html Program

l2ob122    142
what is the best free html program im currently using aceHTML and notepad++ is there another one that is better? I start college on the 3rd of december and in week 3 they will give us all a copy of dreamweaver, and i just want to touch up on some skill with a good free html program, any help would be awsome. Thank you.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
you mean html editor? i'm using this: http://www.nvu.com/index.php

Verminox    166
Crimson Editor is what I started with... although it is very similar to Notepad++. Nowdays I use KDevelop but that's a Linux app.

I'd say continue using Notepad++ till you get Dreamweaver to use... or see if there is a trial version of Dreamweaver available to learn a few tricks before college gives you the full version. Dreamweaver is pretty good for html, especially those who are more design oriented (unlike me, who prefers back-end coding).

l2ob122    142
Yea i was using notepad ++ and was enjoying it because it was all the user using tags and stuff, i think starting out with a harder html builder is better so that you can get used to manually entering in all the information, and when you gain the knowledge of that you can begin using the builders that make it faster.

Verminox    166
Indeed. If that is the case Notepad itself is good. But why stress yourself when you can use syntax highlighting and such other features?

Better to use a html editor for its basic purposes.... stuff like syntax highlighting, auto-indentation, project management, etc. and not for something that will do all the work for you and you never learn to do it by yourself. That is the only drawback for newbies to start with Dreamweaver (IMO)... that they get too used to all the graphical features rather than getting used to manually creating code.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
If you're just starting out with HTML, use Notepad. Seriously. That's the only way you'll actually learn the language. Otherwise, Visual Studio has a nice HTML editor, but that isn't free, and I don't think the Express Editions have it...

benryves    1999
Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Otherwise, Visual Studio has a nice HTML editor, but that isn't free, and I don't think the Express Editions have it...
They do, in the free version of Visual Web Developer. The other Express Editions have the XML editor.

leiavoia    960
I don't know anyone using Dreamweaver et al who's HTML and stylesheet ouput i would trust for use in a largescale project.

Get a solid text editor and leave the HTML-specific editors for the kiddies, i would say.

l2ob122    142
for school they just hooked me up with Dreamweaver 8, its a beautiful program, im liking it very much, mind is done, thanks for the feedback all it is much appreciated

ezacharyk    131
I tried Dreamweaver once. I liked it, but when I looked at the code it created, I freaked. It made so much code that was not nessecary. What I use is Evrsoft First Page 2000. www.evrsoft.com It is easy to use and has all the sytax highlighting you need.