10 hour games

Started by
30 comments, last by Bob Janova 17 years, 3 months ago
Just a simple and fun little open contest to create a game in under 10 hours. This is a programming exercise and so game makers and fourth-gen languages like flash will be cheating... You can do it with one of those, but everyone will think you're incredibly silly. Create a game? Yes, you can use any libs you want, but all assets and the main game code has to be generated during the time frame. You don't have to do it in 10 hours, pick a simple game and try to finish it as quick as you possibly can without losing too much quality in the process. 10 hours is simply the hard cap. Why? Because it's fun and sometimes it's good to make sure you're still sharp. I'll post all entries here, there isn't a prize, it's just a fun little showcase: M2tM - snacky - 3.5 hours - C++/SDL/OpenGl - source Snake Type Game Rob Loach - pongxna - 2 hours - XNA - Source in link Pong! M2tM - Missy - 11 hours with sound (9 before) - C++/SDL/OpenGL - Available at Request Missile Commander type game. Buy menu is Space or Enter. Ravuya - Shoplifter - 4.5 hours - C++/SDL/OpenGl - Source in link Nonsensical game involving a flying pig made for 1W1B2 Zerd - IRRTetris - 8 hours Tetris clone... Well, nearly. It's got a nasty new block! ^^ Endurion - Fireman - 4 hours - source included Save people from a burning building. Daivuk - Disco Tetrix - ? hours - Source Included It's another tetris... clone? Hard to say it is as it's so damn awesome. Good music too, pixel-based movement instead of tile or cell based movement is a neat touch. Daivuk - Araknoid - 10 hours - source included It's a solid version of an old game, very enjoyable. Good luck and dogspeed. [Edited by - M2tM on November 30, 2006 12:11:16 AM]
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Advertisement
Even though the graphics are pretty cheesy thats a fun game. Goodwork!
Haha, thanks. Yeah, they're pretty lame, a little campy. I didn't have much time ^^

I've included the source in the first post if anyone wants to check it out. Any submissions may optionally include source for the project as well.

[Edited by - M2tM on November 25, 2006 5:20:39 AM]
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
I put PongXNA together in two hours, after going through the first few tutorials provided in the XNA documentation. If I find 10 hours available, I'll see what I can do.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Just spent 8 hours on a missile commander type game. It took a lot of fiddling with the values to balance it out and the buy menu took a while to implement. Took longer than expected, I had a basic framework at 4.5 hours.

It's particularly fun on my tablet pc ^^

Link in the first post
Hmm, I might have a go at this in the evening(s) (it's okay if it's 5 hours for 2 days, right?). I'm going to go out and enjoy the sunshine now!
Yeah, no problem. Just keep track and keep it under 10.

I've updated the Missile game, there was a glitch where you could get infinite score by missiles blowing themselves up along the top of the screen forever. Just download from the same location. Time totals in at 9 hours and I'm done.

I've also set it up so that the missiles start getting smaller if you play long enough so it gets very tough and forces you to lose... Now there can be no infinite scores which is good. The point is to see how long you can last.
I put Sloplifter together in probably 4-5 hours, maybe less. It's done using my game library, which builds on top of SDL and OpenGL.

I should do another tiny game.
Well, I went over budget for time because someone made me a song to use as the background music in the missile commander... So I was at 9 hours when I completed the final touch-ups recently, and then I pushed over to about 11 when I had to write something to handle the music.

So feel free to download it again if you don't have the version with music. That's all I'm putting into this one, it's exceeded its original scope.

Anyway, on to the next one.
I wrote an other Tetris Clone using the Irrlicht engine. I spend about 8 hours for this game during my worktime while I had nothing to do. Since it is the first game I made from the scratch I'm happy with this very unspectacular result :)

IrrTris

[Edited by - Zerd on November 28, 2006 1:01:29 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement